Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie for sure so I hope it's ok posting about a non colt firearm.
Recently I was given a what appears to be a 1887 colt 45 frontier double action
6 shooter. It has the numbers #8345 on two separate parts of the gun. The first is on the butt end of the handle and them under the walnut grip. The only thing legible is the words 45 caliber and part of the word colt. It's missing the front sight, plunger has a very sloppy cylinder and the hammer won't stay caulked in the back position. One of the grips are missing a small part. So can anyone tell me how to authenticate it and what kind of value it may have? And lastly if its restored it will lose value . Why is that? Any help is appreciated thanks In advance....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings,

Write a letter to Colt, and send pictures with the serial number. You can also contact some of the better known Colt collecters.

I recall the double action early Colt had a large trigger guard, and some called it the Alaskan model because of the large opening at the trigger. You could wear large gloves, and still get your finger on the trigger.

moondog911

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure Moondog if I put gloves on it would still have room for another finger lol I appreciate the advice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I wound up selling the Colt. Took it too a friend with an auction house here in LasVegas. Paid $450.00 well over its worth as it was in its present condition. Went out and picked up a bunch of ammo so I'm very pleased with the deal. Thanks again for the help moondog!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Any chance of posting some pics? You said it wasn't a Colt......if its a Merwin & Hulbert you've got something there!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I believe that Frontier was an 1878 model. The 1877 models were called the 'Lightning" which were chambered in .38 Colt and .32 Colt (very rare). There was also the 1877 'Thunderer' which was chambered in .41 Colt only. The whole key with value in these early DA Colts is weather the action works properly as they were a very delicate action. I have an 1877 Lightning...It doesn't look pretty, but the action works well...a keeper!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason I haven't found a wAy to down load pics from my IPhone.
But I can change my profile pic check it out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what did you guys think of the profile pick posted.was that a clear enough picture?

I have a Separate question for you all unrelated to the colt.
If I was going to sell my new model super black hawk single action 6 shooter. And the only problem is the transfer bar broke ( from dry firing it I'm sure). Is it still worth the $700.00 i paid for it? and i did try and find the part The only thing, Is what i found was one that said in the description "ALTERED TRANSFER BAR (LF).
Dies that mean left handed only? What a pain to track this part down. Do these commonly break? Thanks for any help in advance and patience with a newbie!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts