Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I'm thinking of getting one for my .44mag. to start reloading.Any opinions ?:)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have the Lee turret press that I really like. You can change the turrets to change calibers without having to re-adjust the dies.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,this reloading kit has no press that I can see in the pics.Its just a small box with some stuff in it like dies and powder scoop.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The Lee Anniversary kit is one of the best buys on the market. You have to get dies to go with it however.

·
Registered
268 Posts
thats how I started out about 30 years ago:).
you will find out you will out grow it pretty quick.get the anniversary kit and don't look back.
pete

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
For the serious reloader you are wasting your time. It only gets you in the ballpark for charge weights and doesn't give you much versatility. I agree with bunzo and suggest the annv. kit as a goos inexpensive started set-up. First read all you can on reloading then go forward in buying the gear and getting set up. It really is a lot of fun but you need to be safe. That equates to knowledgable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use the Lee Anniversary Kit for 357 mag and 32 H&R mag. Great hobby and the Lee kit is great for what I do.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.I want to reload but I will admit I'm a bit intimidated by it all.Sooner or later I knew I'd have to get into it though.The prices of ammo arent going down.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW is a .44 mag a good place to start or is a bottle neck type better[also have a .243]?

·
Registered
146 Posts
After the basic cost it not bad price wise. I don't save any money, in fact I spend a little more but I sure do shoot a whole lot more and I am shooting ammo I made.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Went to Sportsman Warehouse yesterday, glad I reload even though the cost of the primers I use went up by about two dollars a thousand. The cowboy loads went from about 18$ to 24$ since last fall for a box of 50. .45 colt brass seems to be getting scarce out here but I have plenty. Must be getting a lot of cowboy action shooters.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ratgunner

BTW is a .44 mag a good place to start or is a bottle neck type better[also have a .243]?
The .44 mag would be a good starting place. Just start on the lower end of the scale with the lower powder charge and work your way up. A mistake a lot of new reloaders make is wanting to make a hot load from the start. Usually the most accurate and best load falls between the max and min recommended charge by the powder mfg. You will find that most guns have a certain bullet and powder combination that they shoot best.

·
Registered
268 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ratgunner

Well I'm going to save up a bit more and get a real reloading kit.
good idea.***the best advise*** I can give you is find someone that can sit down of the bench with you and get some hands on reloading.

if you like it look out:Dcasting sizing and lubing isn't far down the road.
pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also use a Lee turrent press and like it. The Lee Pro powder measure used in conjunction with the Lee powder through expander die rock-n-rolls. That being said I also have a Lee loader for every caliber I load for. They are handy to have and I use them for working up loads at the range, etc.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I started on a RCBS Rockchucker back in the early 70's and have never looked back. I'm sorry to say that the Lee Press etc does not show me the quality that I prefer. They don't even come close to RCBS, Hornady, or Redding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.