Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my 22/45 yesterday. Thinking about it and doing it and well, I have a few questions. This is not about cleaning solutions and if Frog Lube is better than Hoppes is better than....., just technique.

So I field stripped, ran a wet patch of Hoppes in the barrel let that part be. Soaked some q-tips in hoppes and cleaned what I could in breach area so to say . Cleaned bolt as much as I could and spring. Then looking at the trigger assembly/grip/etc, I was perplexed how to clean that good. Well, really can't get in there good so I cleaned hammer face and what I could but seems to me maybe just blast it out with (insert aerosol cleaner here) and let it dry? Like Ballistol or whatever.

Then I brushed barrel, dry patches, nothing overwhelming. Then dab of oil on bolt, spring, put together and work in and function check.

Seems to me I cant clean the whole schmere without detail stripping which after 50-100 rounds makes no sense. My lube plan okay? Thoughts?

·
Registered
589 Posts
That is exactly how I clean mine after every range trip. I do a detail cleaning at 1000 rounds but that is just me. The detail strip and cleaning allows me to examine the internals for any excessive wear.

JMHO

Joe

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Keep doing what you are doing and you should have many good years of service from your 22/45. Its been working for me.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks, I just want to make sure I am getting a decent clean and lube. Any specific points to lubricate? What about my CLP blast idea or is that just not necessary?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay thanks, I just want to make sure I am getting a decent clean and lube. Any specific points to lubricate? What about my CLP blast idea or is that just not necessary?
CLP, brake cleaner, or something along that line will work fine. Lube all the pivot points and such has worked for me. 3-500 rounds clean with spray, 1-2000 rounds or more before I will do a complete tear down, I have heard others say 5-10,000 rounds. If the spray is getting the gritty stuff out so I am not feeling it I see no reason to go further. Don't get me wrong I like a good clean gun,but l'm not obsessed with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
mine doesn't like oil. i wipe off all i can. if i leave any oil on the bolt, it stiffens up.
other people seem to use more oil, so i suspect it varies from gun to gun.
shoot a few thousand rounds n try both ways.
by the way, the more you shoot a 22/45, the nicer it gets. i have 8,000 rounds thru mine n it's a zillion times smoother than when new.
the action wouldn't even cycle with SV when new. now, that's all it likes.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the tips. So if you don't oil, what do you use for lube? Won't you get damage?

As far as CLP in aerosol, if I invert the handle/trigger/action and spray, shouldn't all the gunk drip out and at the same time I get some lube in there?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I was cleaning my 22/45 yesterday. Thinking about it and doing it and well, I have a few questions. This is not about cleaning solutions and if Frog Lube is better than Hoppes is better than....., just technique.

So I field stripped, ran a wet patch of Hoppes in the barrel let that part be. Soaked some q-tips in hoppes and cleaned what I could in breach area so to say . Cleaned bolt as much as I could and spring. Then looking at the trigger assembly/grip/etc, I was perplexed how to clean that good. Well, really can't get in there good so I cleaned hammer face and what I could but seems to me maybe just blast it out with (insert aerosol cleaner here) and let it dry? Like Ballistol or whatever.

Then I brushed barrel, dry patches, nothing overwhelming. Then dab of oil on bolt, spring, put together and work in and function check.

Seems to me I cant clean the whole schmere without detail stripping which after 50-100 rounds makes no sense. My lube plan okay? Thoughts?
You are doing great, I am addicted to Hoppe's so no issue there. I detail strip (including all of the lower) every 5th range trip (about 500 rounds). The only thing I do that seems different than others is a very light touch of gun grease on the slide. I have been rewarded by no failures at all in 4000 rounds except for a split case on a thunderbolt I was silly enough to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts