Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Unique and IMR HiSkor 700X for low velocity .38 Special loads used in my SP101 w/2" barrel. However, both are very dirty. Any recommendations for a cleaner burning powder from you reloaders?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Tite Group and Bullseye work well but watch the double charges. Trailboss work well for me in 38 special also. Fills the case up and makes for nice light plinking loads.
I've found that loads get dirtier as I try to make them lighter. I've started loading up slightly and have had more luck with cleaner loads.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have been using Unique and IMR HiSkor 700X for low velocity .38 Special loads used in my SP101 w/2" barrel. However, both are very dirty. Any recommendations for a cleaner burning powder from you reloaders?
You might do better posting powder questions in the reloading forum.
We have some knowledgable reloaders here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had good luck using 6.1 grains of Hodgdon HS-6 under a Silver State 158 grain LSWC. Nice groups from my 6" 686 Smith and my Marlin 1894c.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Unique has a reputation of being a little dirty with some loads but 700x is a clean burner. I've burned up quite a bit of it over the years and have never noted it as being dirty. Usually just a speck or two of ash but it's not cumulative with 100 shots looking like one or two shots in most instances. Cleans out with a single pass with jag and patch. I agree with what's posted above in that you should try adding( assuming your not at max. load levels) a bit more powder. A lot of times that alone will clean up some of the dirty loads but not always. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You might be expecting too much fun from a barrel that short. The advice to use more powder seems about right to me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I reload exclusively for the SP101 2.25" (.357 mag) and all I shoot in it is .38 special, I have worked up these two loads for that gun so you might like these loads because they work great in mine:

1. Is a .38spl 158gr(.357") hard cast LSWC over 3.7 gr of Trail Boss(1.475"), it's accurate in the SP101 2.25" and very, very clean. I estimate only about 700fps velocity in the snubby but wow is it clean and fun.(burnt powder smells good too)

2. Is a .38spl+P 125gr XTP over 4.5 gr of Titegroup(1.455"), this load is insanely accurate and clean. I have never found ammo off the shelf that even came close to this in accuracy out of my SP101 2.25". I estimate it's velocity in the 2.25" as somewhere around 900fps. My buddy has the 3" version and it shoots just as good through his gun as well.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
TiteGroup with a 110 or 125 grain bullet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
W231/HP-38, Accurate #5 or Viht 3N37. Viht cleanest but pricey and hard to source sometimes. Made a 110gr .38 special that clocked 1020fps out of Taurus UL with it. Good stuff !

·
Registered
649 Posts
Clays been doing the job for me

·
Registered
205 Posts
Bullseye is pretty clean. Unique, aka Flaming Dirt, burns poorly at low pressures usually associated with standard pressure 38 Special loads. If unique is all you have, try +P loads from the manuals. Oh, and eject empties with the revolver muzzle-up to keep unburned powder from falling under the extractor. That'll tie up a revolver every time.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
I used Tite group, but when I could not get it Clays worked just fine and was very clean burning, now that I can get Tite group I use it. A "little goes a long way" - be careful of double charges!

Somebody gave me some, "flaming dirt" stuff - just love that label, but after using it I torched the remaining contents on wet concrete.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts