Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I really never have to clean it again? Not even after a few thousands rounds? I'm new to shooting! All I've seen and read says I should clean the gun every so often! I'm confused! Sorry for my ignorance on gun maintenance, but this is why I ask questions, so I can learn!

Thank you for all your replies! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to answer my question! Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike!
My Daddy taught me to clean firearms after each use . I bought my 10/22 in 1972 , cleaned after each use and it's still in excellent shape .
I taught my two children to shoot with it and like my Dad instructed...clean after every use .
Don't fall for the "never clean it horse pucky " that's poor advice .

A bore snake is a good way to clean a 10/22 barrel quickly when a rod and brush are not at hand .

The stuff in your new barrel was preservative applied to the new cut barrel to prevent rusting . After shooting and cleaning leave a film of CLP in the bore...to prevent rust .
Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Before I knew better, I did shoot a couple of brand new guns without cleaning them first. Even though they run great now. It still bugs me in retrospect!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK so let me clarify.
Centrefires I have always cleaned as I use jacketed projectiles.

Here I'm talking about the 22LR cartridge ONLY.
Unlike most Centrefire cartridges and even 17 HMR etc, the bulk of 22LR cartridges have lubed lead projectiles. And those with copper projectiles are almost always just copper washed as opposed to hard jacketed.

I can only speak from my own experience. I certainly clean the bolt of my 77/22 and other 22s but not the bore. All I do is patch it out with a dry patch and then run an oil patch through if unlikely to use it for a while.

I've found that if I clean a 22LR bore the accuracy tends to fall away dramatically until its settled in again after 10 or 20 rounds.
Again just my experience.

For a new rifle I do give them a good clean to get any factory rubbish out.

I had a 10/22 in the past back before our government stole them from us. As I recall they ran a bit dirty and I did clean the action etc pretty regularly. But again short of patching with oil I left the bore alone.

Will you do any damage to a rifle cleaning it frequently? Absolutely not. So if it makes you comfortable by all means do so.

My mileage varies.

Enjoy your 10/22 you lucky bugger!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Pull back the bolt and lock it open. Look into the ejection port and clean what you can see. Blow backs are dirty little things. Clean the chamber, breech face, the front face of the bolt. Get the crud off of the extractor.
This is to keep it running.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry I haven't been here for a while! Ever since our federal election, I have been discouraged! They have elected the same government again! They will ban all military style riffles and hand guns! That will include all AR-15 and semi-auto rifles! They will start around the Nov. 20! I'm so disgusted that I have lost interest in shooting! I appreciate all the wonderful advice you have given me! I also appreciate all the knowledge, I am very grateful. But it's just a mater of time before all those idiots ban all guns like they did in Australia! Once again thank for everything!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry I haven't been here for a while! Ever since our federal election, I have been discouraged! They have elected the same government again! They will ban all military style riffles and hand guns! That will include all AR-15 and semi-auto rifles! They will start around the Nov. 20! I'm so disgusted that I have lost interest in shooting! I appreciate all the wonderful advice you have given me! I also appreciate all the knowledge, I am very grateful. But it's just a mater of time before all those idiots ban all guns like they did in Australia! Once again thank for everything!
Bummer!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts