Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this last Fall and hunted with it so didn't really want to do anything to it. Well I finally got a chance to sit down and go through it, I removed the warning billboard, reshaped the trigger and went through the action. After removing a few dings I took it to a fairly high polish but it will probably be wearing camo by this Fall[8D]

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by velvalco

that's nice, makes me want one even more. Kinda a silly question, how did you remove the warning billboard?
I started with 150 grit sand paper on a blet sander then worked my way down with 220 and 400 by hand. Then steel wool and two levels of grit on a buffing wheel. Pretty much the same thing for the trigger but I did the initial shaping with a small swiss pattern file.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That looks sharp REB,your hard work was not in vain.Last time I saw it I think you had a scope on it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
you darn sure do good work. who klnows some day I might bracve and do it to mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That work was not in vain! It got you a very fine gun. It will be a pity to hide that beauty under camo. Here's the excuse to get another SRH, get one for the camo-job:D.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The high polish looks nice but this is a woods gun and it's going to get a camo pattern this fall, and you are correct ratgunner it does wear a scope at times. This was really my test piece and I wanted it nice and smooth. Now it's time to move on to the SP101, I am going to remove the warning and really soften the edges. The trigger has already been rounded and the action is excellent. I need to find out how much I can safely remove at the front of the frame to blend it with the barrel, the SP101 has a noticeable step at the frame barrel junction which drags when re holstering. I think I'll take this opportunity to go ahead and replace the front site.

Edited to say after looking at the picture the hammer is going to get matched to the frame as well.

Here is the before, not the best light.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ron the porting is Hybra Port developed by Weigand Combat, it has five ports on both sides of the front site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts