Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Bullseye in 38Spc and 2400 in 357s for years. While I like the performace I am tired of how filthy they burn. I'm looking at trying VihtaVuori or others that will burn cleaner. I tried Clays but i didnt see much improvement. Any comments ???

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i thought universal clays was a bit cleaner. And definately cleaner in my opinion over regular clays.
Going to try some red dot after i run out as it is now advertised as 50% cleaner but who knows for sure.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I like W231 in .38 target loads and H110 for full-house .357s.

·
Registered
346 Posts
FireEngOpr,

Try changing bullet lubes. Alliant pistol powder react badly to some lubes. When I shoot Unique with RCBS or similar formula lubes, my guns get greasy and filthy and my hands get black as well. When I shoot Unique with other lubes they just get sooty.

Joe

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
let me know on the red dot I have used in the pasted and it was very dirty didn't like it at all.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Okay guys, I am reviving this thread because I really would like to know what the old heads would recommend for a really clean burning pistol powder especially in regards to semi-automatics and the .45acp specially.

In my brief and limited experience with pistol ammo, I have been fortunate to stumble upon Sellier and Beliot .45 acp. This stuff burns extremely clean. After firing a couple hundred rounds all I have to do is wipe the gun down and it is fairly clean until I get it back home and do an extreme clean to it. Never is there the heavy buildup that I get from the Winchesters or Magtechs. I am preparing to reload and I am saving brass and shopping kits, but I really would like to use whatever powders these Czechs are using as they are burning extremely clean.

Can someone here please enlighten me. I know that there is plenty of reloading experience in this forum and guys who can elaborate to nth degree on what powder or powders would be the best. I am thanking in advance those who would come forward and enlighten us. Thank you.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
There probably are cleaner burning powder, but I don't have any problem with the new Unique. I load it in my .45's and shoot it in 4 different Auto's and just run a Boresnake through them after each shooting and then fieldstrip and clean them when convenient. I only use jacketed bullets so that might make some difference. Works good for me. :)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Unique huh! Is there any particular Unique powder that you use or is just the brand name enough?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
I've used Unique in my 45 ACP loads for as long as I can remember. The "new" Unique does burn considerably cleaner. The standard GI ball ammo with a 230 gr bullet was loaded with 5.9gr of canister grade Unique. I get the same performance with 5.8 gr of the new Unique and a 230gr FMJ bullet.

Just remember ... clean burning doesn't mean best performance. Besides, I clean my gun after each session so a little grime doesn't mean much. When I used to shoot competition many years ago (old Unique powder), I never had a single issue with malfunctions due to Unique powder. Revolvers tend to gum up worse because of the B/C gap so Unique may not be the best choice.

If you shoot lead bullets, a lot of the grime and smoke is lead vapor or bullet lube. All lead bullet loads tend to run much dirtier than jacketed bullet loads.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by peace

Unique huh! Is there any particular Unique powder that you use or is just the brand name enough?
"Unique" powder from alliant http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/product_catalog.htm

just about a jack of all trades for pistols. There may be a few better powders out there for specific loads/calibers, but "unique" does a good job covering the bases.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
peace - my 2c - Unique is a great all-round powder and works well with the 45acp. I haven't tried any of the new formula but the old style needed to be loaded closer to max to burn clean. Seems the light loads, light crimp don't allow all the powder to burn completely and makes it sooty. JMHO
HS-6 also works well for a wide variety of loads.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have recently tried universal and first impressions are it's a fairly clean powder at 38sp levels, haven't tried any 357 with it yet. Universal also meters much better than unique in my Lyman 55 measure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The cleanest powders out there are VihtaVuori. Their N300 series handgun powders and N100 series rifle powders are single base propellants. There is no nitroglycerin in them which is what makes other powders so dirty. The best all around powder for 45 ACP is N340. It is in the same class as Unique but much, much cleaner, especially with plated or jacketed bullets. They cost a bit more but they are the best, in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
21,477 Posts
I have had decent luck with American Select, Blue Dot, and Unique. I clean my firearms after each session so I don't notice the problems. I shoot both cast and jacketed bullets and admittedly the cast bullets are lubed and make more of a mess but it all cleans up easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.