Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Winchester M22 a while back and for me, it's been complete garbage. After less than 50 rounds the bullets started going WAY off target. We're talking 5" off at 25 yards. I left the line and used a bore light to check the barrel and I couldn't even see the rifling! I found out that the jackets had actually stripped off the bullets and melted inside the barrel! I didn't even know that could happen?

It took me days to clean that mess up. I have about 950 rounds left and I don't even want to use them. Was this a fluke? Can anyone recommend a good bulk ammo that won't ruin my rifle?

Thanks
Matt

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,695 Posts
Alaskan454, This is something you don't want to hear .... it is most likely a rough bore that is causing lead to be filed off and left in the bore as fouling. The lead is not melted, but as additional rounds are fired, the fouling tends to compact into spirals of lead.

There are two possible solutions ... the first being to use a good bore abrasive (ie Butch's Bore Paste) and polish the bore as much as possible. The other is to use 22 LR ammo with copper or brass plated bullets. The bullet plating is hard enough where the bore won't foul nearly as bad ... but it will still foul a little until you polish out all the striation marks in the bore.

Federal and Remington both make bulk 22 LR ammo with plated bullets. If you try them and still get excessive bore fouling, no doubt your bore needs to be polished.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
M22 is my favorite ammo. I have put thousands of rounds through my SR22 rifle and pistol without issue. I like it in the SR22 pistol since the coating seems to be best at not fowling the steep feed ramp.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Been using Federal Champion 36gr CHP in my Single Six & SR22 no fouling and no feeding
problems in SR22. I would stay away from Remington Thunderbolts but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Winchester .22LR is my least favorite ammo. I know others seem to have good results with it, but not me. My experience is that it's dirty and it causes even the most reliable .22 rifles to jam.

Not sure what the problem is. I have bought and shot several boxes of .30-30 Super X ammo, and have had excellent experiences with it. Their .22 ammo is just not good for me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have had good results from the M22 ammo. I have shot it through my Ruger Hunter MKIII and have had no problems with it. It is reasonably accurate and feeds good. Unless I am mistaken the M22 is "plated" with a black copper coating. I think it is sometimes called copper washed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Winchester .22LR is my least favorite ammo. I know others seem to have good results with it, but not me. My experience is that it's dirty and it causes even the most reliable .22 rifles to jam.

Not sure what the problem is. I have bought and shot several boxes of .30-30 Super X ammo, and have had excellent experiences with it. Their .22 ammo is just not good for me.
That is interesting. I have not shot a whole lot of .22 super x, but my basic Savage 64 seems to shoot it well. I would put the number at about 75 rounds. Like you I have had good results with the super x in 30-30 as well as .308

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alaskan454, This is something you don't want to hear .... it is most likely a rough bore that is causing lead to be filed off and left in the bore as fouling. The lead is not melted, but as additional rounds are fired, the fouling tends to compact into spirals of lead.

There are two possible solutions ... the first being to use a good bore abrasive (ie Butch's Bore Paste) and polish the bore as much as possible. The other is to use 22 LR ammo with copper or brass plated bullets. The bullet plating is hard enough where the bore won't foul nearly as bad ... but it will still foul a little until you polish out all the striation marks in the bore.

Federal and Remington both make bulk 22 LR ammo with plated bullets. If you try them and still get excessive bore fouling, no doubt your bore needs to be polished.

It sounds like it may not be the ammo then. I'll take it out again and give it another shot. I'll make sure the bore is as clean as can be before I do. If I have the same problem, I'll decide what to do from there.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
629 Posts
CCI mini mags is nice clean .22 ammo and my colt 1911 just loves em!!

upload gifs

·
16,695 Posts
Alaskan454, Every time a specific brand of ammo is mentioned here on the forum, someone will report it shoots the best and another person will say it shoots the worst. Fact is, both of theses conditions can be true because the bore may indeed be the source of the problem. Sometimes you get lucky and buy a new gun with a nice smooth bore .... sometimes not. That's why ammo manufacturers went with copper or brass plated lead bullets. In most cases, these plated bullets will leave very minimal fouling, thus remain accurate for hundreds of rounds between cleanings .... then again, sometimes they foul just as bad as bare lead bullets, which indicates a rough bore.

Take a look at an article I posted in the Forum Library, titled "22 Long Rifle Ammo and Accuracy". It may help answer some of your questions .... here's a link: http://rugerforum.net/library/106039-22-long-rifle-ammo-accuracy.html

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lowegan, tnx so much for all of the wonderful info you post. I read your linked post on 22 accuracy a while back and just reread it. It gives a "big picture" look at 22 accuracy and should be mandatory reading for all of us who are thinking about changing parts on our 10/22's to increase accuracy.

Tnx again. Contented

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
With Winchester Super X .22LR, accuracy is not my issue with it. My gripes are that it jams in my rifles. My 10/22 that has around 10,000 rounds through it has jammed 3 times. All three were with Super X. My Marlin 60 has jammed a few times, all with Super X. My Henry H001 lever gun gets nose up jams with Super X.

Also, it leaves a thick, almost gelatin-like mess in my guns that's unlike anything I have to clean after using other brands of .22 ammo.

·
16,695 Posts
ditto1958, I don't doubt your experiences with Winchester Super X ammo ..... but my experiences are quite different, just as I mentioned above "Every time a specific brand of ammo is mentioned here on the forum, someone will report it shoots the best and another person will say it shoots the worst." Here's the thing ... when people say they will never use "brand X" again because it jammed a few times is like saying "I'll never buy a Chevron gas again because I got poor mileage from a tank 20 years ago." A specific gun and specific ammo must "play well together" or the results will be something less than satisfactory.

If you read my above referenced article on 22 LR accuracy, it includes things just like in this discussion. In summary, the "best" 22 LR ammo is the brand and type that cycles best in your rifle or pistol, is the most accurate, and is available. The last point ...."available" is often the driving force for what you use. It's rare when both accuracy and function attributes for the same brand/type of ammo come together in several different guns. I've found CCI Mini-Mags come the closest to being a "one size fits all" cartridge .... maybe not the most accurate in every gun ... maybe not the best cycling in every gun, but almost always very acceptable. That said, my custom 10/22 chokes with Mini-Mags causing frequent jams .... so there you are .... nothing in life is perfect.

In the referenced article I wrote .... I tested many different brands of ammo in several different guns. My CZ 452 was by far the least fussy. Every brand cycled perfectly and shot excellent groups. This tells you something very important and that is .... all 22 LR ammo is capable of excellent accuracy and function .... but not all guns are capable of taking advantage of these attributes. So is it the gun or the ammo? IMO, it's a combination of both!

contented, Thanks for the compliment! I think many gun owners lose sight of reality when it comes to 22 LR ammo. Seems if one brand/type doesn't play well in one gun, the gun owner totally bans it for all other guns .... and probably gets bad mouthed too. What they might be missing is ... that same brand/type of 22 LR ammo might perform the best in another gun. It might even be something as simple as a bad lot number where the next lot number of the same brand/type performs to expectations. In recent years, it has become quite common for all brands of 22 LR ammo to have a few duds per box. This was a very rare occasion just 10 years ago .... no doubt caused by increased production rates and less quality control.

·
Registered
322 Posts
From ditto "With Winchester Super X .22LR, accuracy is not my issue with it. My gripes are that it jams in my rifles. My 10/22 that has around 10,000 rounds through it has jammed 3 times. All three were with Super X."

Wow, only three jams in 10,000 rounds.. That a .03% failure rate or one jam every seven 500 round bricks. I'd be tickled to death with only one jam per 500 round brick. I have some super x, will give it a try.

:)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I shoot whatever I can get, clean or not!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
they work fine in both my 22/45 and marlin m60, they are not the cleanest but far from the dirtiest I have used. What is the cleanest in my .22's? a virtual tie between minimags and norma tac 22's.are the cleanest imho.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've shot a few boxes of M22 and have no bad experiences with 'em, just didn't find them very accurate in my guns. On the other hand, all of my .22s love MiniMag 40 gr. solids; I think they took a vote one night in the gun safe and it must have been unanimous cause they love the MiniMag diet to the point they all sing, "More...more...more'" when we go to the range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts