Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For years I have used Win 231 for most of my pistol loads. I find that it leaves most of my guns very dirty after shooting. I am looking for a few ideas on what you all think is the cleanest burning pistol powder for target loads? I don't shoot lead, I only shoot Berry's bullets.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For years I have used Win 231 for most of my pistol loads. I find that it leaves most of my guns very dirty after shooting. I am looking for a few ideas on what you all think is the cleanest burning pistol powder for target loads? I don't shoot lead, I only shoot Berry's bullets.
I shoot 357 mag but that is very close to the same cartridge. I have switched over to using Hodgdon Universal powder for my target loads. I find it very user and gun friendly. It is clean, consistent and meters well from my powder measure. These are all attributes I like in a powder. I have used several different pistol powders in the past but have settled on this one for target loads. Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center lists loads for 38 special and Universal using bullets from 110 grain to 170 grain. I use it with a 158 grain bullet.
Tork:)

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
American Select is a fast clean burning powder. The Alliant web site has loads for 148 gr HBWC and 158 gr LSWC on their web site.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
american select works good for me and i also like hp38, and titegroup, universal works great also i have to agree with terry an tork i bought some nitro 100 off a guy and that also worked great, 38 is a friendly cal to reload for sure,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.