Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished cleaning two new mini 14s that I purchased for my son and myself. The preservative they put on the rifles is like extra thick oil, and there is so much of it I am not surprised by stories online from people who took their new gun to the range and had all sorts of issues. I am surprised that they do not fly apart. If you work the action before you clean it and after a thorough cleaning and light lubrication, you can tell right away especially side by side with the uncleaned one. This is why I keep brake cleaner on hand it makes quick work of oil and grease on metal parts. Finish with a light coat of Hoppes 9
on a rag and it just feels right. The last time I had a gun with so much stuff on it was a Garand caked with cosmoline. However I am now expecting the guns to work flawlessly.:)

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,399 Posts
It is so refreshing to read about someone cleaning their new gun. Most folks seem to just take it out of the box, load it with the cheapest steel-cased import ammo they can find, then post about how their new Ruger doesn't work. Have fun at the range!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I read those posts too but I have more realistic expectations anyway. I have an older mini from the 90s and it has never failed to fire or eject. It also came clean in the box new all I did was run a few patches down the bore.

·
Righteous Dude
21,487 Posts
That's what I would do! Cut the grease and clean as normal.

I got my first Mini in NY. I got the rest here. The TN Minis have those evil threaded barrels... ;)

·
Exalted One
1,620 Posts
Have a new 583 Ranch, NIB, likely loaded with that gunk. Also have lots of carb cleaner to rid it of that and a torque driver ready to set the front gas block gap straight and even.

Won't shoot it until it gets a thorough cleaning and a check on the gas-block gap (both of which were bad in my 583 Tactical).

For anyone getting a new Mini-14: thoroughly clean them before first shooting. Otherwise, some of the crap Ruger coats mith (for justifiable reasons) getting all heated up with firing will just make things worse and tougher to clear out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I try to never shoot anything before cleaning it. I get to the range so infrequently, that I often clean guns more than once in between range trips.

I find it calming and I like keeping my hands busy while watching tv and such

1 - 6 of 6 Posts