Ruger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan
26 Posts
You tend to want rifle brass to be cleaner for accuracy and pistol brass is cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
196 Posts
How does everyone clean their brass before reloading? When I used to reload (back in the 1990s) we used to run them through the washing machine (put them in an old nylon or a delecates bag), at least that is how some of the people I know taught me to do it.
I have always used a Lyman shaker with corncob to polish and walnut to clean and al ittle polish in the walnut hull. Now with the Dillon I am faced with the prospect or a whole lot of 5.56 cases I want a liquid ultrasonic I think...however the reason I got into reloading was to save money. So maybe I can find one for less than a hundred bucks somewhere. Still even with carbide sizer I will ahve a little lube to get rid of. Perhaps something I can spray on the laoded cartridges in the blocks. I've seen a lot of reloads with a bit of lube still on the case and it ain't something I want again.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Do the Lawn throw into tumbler 1 with Walnut, weedwhack throw into corn cob with nushine..Job done mate..:)

thewelshm

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dash of Lemi-shine, small squeeze of Dawn and a couple hours in the wet tumbler (after de-priming all cases) with 5 lbs of SS pins, then a couple hours under the ceiling fan and they are ready to go!
This is exactly what I do (except I let them just sit out an air dry, no ceiling fan, or if I need quick dry them in an oven).

An ultrasonic cleaner (Hornady) with the recommended Hornady solution (40 to 1). Cleans outside, inside, primer pockets, etc. Simple rinse, then dry. What could be easier? About two or three steps shorter than a tumbler. And less elapsed time.
I have this Hornady cleaner, used their solution, and was disappointed in the results. Still wondering if I was using it wrong.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,725 Posts
Half Simple Green, half white vinegar, and three cycles of my cheapo ultrasonic, then a baking soda/water shake and three rinses. Inexpensive and clean enough.

I recently polished some really tarnished .223 brass after cleaning; it has been the only time I did that. I don’t care about shiny brass if it is clean. I just need it clean enough to see splits or potential case-head separation.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Frankfort Arsenal rotary tumbler with the steel pins all the way. No primer pocket cleaning, just add hot water, dish soap and lemi-shine. Forget the vibrator with constantly spending money on cleaning media.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1 to wet stainless steel tumbling. I use my ultrasonic cleaner on engine carbs.

Save the corn for having corn on the cob, cornmeal, corn chips, etc.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For really dirty and tarnished brass, I use food grade Citric acid in hot water, does a great job of cleaning in a short period of time. I dry the brass in my wife's oven. For light cleaning, I use my Lyman tumbler and corn cob media with a dash of Nu Finish cleaner car wax.
You just soak the brass in hot water and citric acid or is it tumbled?

I have this Hornady cleaner, used their solution, and was disappointed in the results. Still wondering if I was using it wrong.
I feel the same way about my hornady. It seems to work but I need to use hot water or it never heats up. I contacted hornady about it and they said it takes some time to heat up and better off starting with hot water. I would be interested in trading it for a SS tumbler and go that route for a change.

Like others have said, changing the media in vibrator is getting old.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Soaking in hot water and citric acid is inefficient, it just uses up more energy and time. Plus if you put too much citric acid in, it tarnishes the brass quite a bit. In addition, you're still possibly having to use the dry media, which defeats the purpose of using water to clean the brass.

Just get stainless pins media and a wet tumbler that can hold enough. Make sure you have the proper water and pins to brass ratio. It's not rocket science persay, but if you don't have enough pins water & dish soap to the amount of brass you have, it takes a rediculous amount of time to do.

I think its about for 5 lbs of stainless steel pins, about 100 to 125 pieces of 308 win brass if you want it shinny and super clean in about 2 1/2 hours.

Stainless steel tumbler media is about as close to "Set it and forget it" infomercial as you can ask for. Just make sure to properly control how you dump out the brass, water, and pins so you don't lose the stainless steel pin media.

If you want to know what most of those bulk re-manufactured ammo makers use or the once fired military brass resellers, nearly all of them use a rotating big drum full of water, soap, and stainless steel pins to clean the brass.

It's very efficient and it just works, period.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts