Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just went to the range about 2 days ago with the wife, and put about 400 rounds through my brand new right out the box stainless steel carbine 10/22 with about 5 jams looking at the way the bullets jammed they were all feeding issues with my BX-25.... I modded it after which and can't wait to try them out again. NOW my question I cleaned the rifle up after that fun time but am not certain, DO I NEED TO OIL THE BARREL AS WELL OR NOT??? I cleaned the entire gun with nylon brushes, cotton swabs, solvent and all till you can pretty much eat off of it, but I wasn't certain if I should oil the stainless steel barrel or not any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Get yourself a cloth to use just for wiping. Dab a few spots of oil on the barrel and rub around with your finger. Wipe with the cloth. Over time the cloth will get more and more absorbed and become a nice little oiler in itself.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
The bore? Yes, needs a little oil or lube inside just like any other barrel. The outside of a stainless barrel? I suppose it's optional. I use Ballistol and I wipe the outsides of my guns with a rag that has some in it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stainless steel barrels can get rust or corrosion spots if you don't take care of them. I've started using white lithium grease on mine. A little goes a long way. Use a toothpick or cotton swab and smear a little around the barrel then rub it in and wipe off any excess. It will stay on the barrel a lot longer than oil and protects better.

You can also use a paste wax and that works pretty well if you get good coverage. It also makes the barrel look good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea guys, sorry for not being specific enough... I was asking about the bore, thanks for all the answers

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I know all the "bore purists" are going to cringe at this, but all I do on my 10/22's is put some CLP on a Boresnake, couple of pull throughs, done.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I always run a patch with oil through the bore followed by 1 or 2 dry patches after it's been cleaned. It really depends on how long the gun will sit before its fired again. And yes at times I use CLP as well.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I put lots of oil in my barrel. So much that it needs to be wiped down before shooting it again. I live in a damp climate and if I don't it will start to rust. Your climate might dictate what you need to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I lightly oil a wipe and spin it through the barrel when I'm done cleaning it so there is a light coat of oil in the barrel...

On the outside I wipe it down with my lightly oiled wiping rag that I keep in a zip lock bag to keep it clean. I only use that rag for final wipe down, I have other rags that I use when I'm cleaning that I toss when done...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts