Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been down with flu like symptoms for the last couple of days but feeling better today so took the time to clean a few new GP's I picked up :). One of the 1708's had some pretty good size metal shavings in it hanging on. No big deal and everything cleaned up nicely.

Attachments

·
Banned
308 Posts
I hate it when I have to clean "a few new GP's."
Too many newcomers go to the local gun store, purchase a gun and a box of ammo, next stop is the range for tryout.

BAD procedure.

All new guns should come with a bore light and instructions how to check the weapon for obstructions before firing, and how to load only one round at a time until all the mechanisms and chambers are tested under fire.

Radio George

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
That is a very nice lineup, g17. Nothing prettier than a .357 mag revolver, unless it is three of them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Don't be surprised by anything you find inside a new gun. Metal shavings is not unheard of but a long shot.

I and others can't tell you how many times we've posted to member to clean their gun before going to the range and how many times owners haven't, had problems, ready to bad mouth Ruger, send the guns back, but after they clean it they find that the world is wonderful again and Ruger products are OK afterall.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My new GP didn't need much cleaning, but few hours of oiling - dry firing eliminated every squeaky sound and significantly improved the trigger.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Don't be surprised by anything you find inside a new gun. Metal shavings is not unheard of but a long shot. .
I'm not sure if metal shavings would actually do anything as most barrels these days start out rough as a cob anyway. :eek: On the other hand, I can't see where they'd be all that great either.

Not sure if manufacturers make that recommendation or not these days, but most firearms are shipped with some sort of storage grease in the barrel, and chambers, and it that's not the case there sure is a lot of "stuff" that comes out when you swab the bore on a new firearm. But I have watched many a shooter pick up their new piece, along with a couple boxes of ammo, and hit the indoor range. Could explain a lot of the problems many post on various forums.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Beautiful Collection. Glad you are feeling better neighbor. Here in Kentucky the weather temp has been up and down so much. Very unusual.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
When I bought my American Rimfire 22Mag, I was shocked how much crude was in the barrel. It was packed with a light brown substance that took forever to really clean out.

I posted it at the time and another guy with the same gun said he had found the same thing.

I know I've found metal in another gun right out of the box not to mention really ugly stuff in the trigger area.

Really, cleaning your gun BEFORE the first firing shouldn't be like pulling teeth anyway. I don't know why this generates so much debate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I read a few years ago that approximately 40% of handguns are returned to the manufacturers for one sort of adjustment or repair. I cannot remember the source, but it was probably TTAG.
The more I read here and other forums, the more I think US gun manufacturers should spend a few more minutes on each gun before they ship.
Maybe those proof rounds they fire cause bits and pieces to jar loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased my first ever hand gun, a GP100 1708 during the "Great 1708 Event of 2015" last month.

One of the first things I did was research and watch videos of how to disassemble the gun. I got myself some m-pro 7 X oil and proceeded to take apart, clean, and lubricate all of the internals. I spent about 4 hours playing around with it and learning all the nuances of my new baby. I had a blast with it! Also, thanks again to all the forum members who helped put my mind at ease on all the silly neurotic questions I came up with. The whole process eliminated all of the funky little squeaks and smoothed the action incredibly. A week of dry firing has helped even a bit more. The case of ammo I ordered just arrived, and I'm going shooting this weekend!

I enjoyed cleaning and lubing my gun so much, I can't wait to shoot it this weekend so I can take it apart again and give it another cleaning lol. As a newbie, I would highly recommend any other newbies give their new revolvers a little TLC, too!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When I received my new 1751 3 in bbl GP100, it had a serious metal shaving lodged in a crevice of the frame that would not allow the trigger to be pulled completely to the rear, almost preventing the revolver from firing at all. Took me a little while to find it and determine what the problem was, but once the shaving was removed, all was good.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I enjoyed cleaning and lubing my gun so much, I can't wait to shoot it this weekend so I can take it apart again and give it another cleaning lol. As a newbie, I would highly recommend any other newbies give their new revolvers a little TLC, too!
The Ruger revolvers are all fairly easy to disassemble/assemble, but it's not a great idea to do it after every shooting session. The guys that developed the concept didn't anticipate hundreds of cleaning sessions that included complete tear down.

I also have a take it apart mentality, but even with high volume shooting, the internals do not accumulate enough goo to cause a problem. I do pull the grips for a round of Gun Scrubber once in a while, and after a couple thousand rounds of lead bullets and Unique, a fair amount of dark stuff comes out. But even that typically doesn't have any indication of poor function.

Sometimes less is more. Keep the barrel and cylinder clean, but the rest of the gun can accommodate a tiny bit of residue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts