Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my sp101 to the range today after shooting .38 reloads earlier this week and today when i tried to shoot .357 i found that i couldnt get them to eject from the cylinder. what is the best way to remove the powder build up from the .38s in the chamber.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use a Nylon brush check it in a Drill put some of your fav cleaner on the brush and spin it up with the drill an run the brush back an forth a few times and there ya go clean

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been advised to use a stainless steel brush on the cylinder after shooting .38 before shooting .357

Does anyone have any insight into this approach?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldnt do it unless they are really really gunked up an nothing else works

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would use a bronze brush the same way if it's really bad. I have never seen the need to go more aggressive.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Try taking pieces of cotton balls and push them into the cylinders until you cover the area of fouling. Pour a small amount of your favorite bore cleaner into each cylinder until the cotton is soaked. Let it sit for about an hour. Push the cotton pieces out and clean as usual. If it is really bad it may take another application

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use a lewis lead remover kit and they work great on the barrel and forcing cone,
they work well on the cylinder but a few passes with one of the brownell chamber brushes will usually get the crud out quickly

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
gunlover24, I usually only use the Lewis Lead Remover when the other "normal" methods have failed and usually only on the bore and forcing cone. Of course, if your using "soft" lead bullets with the .38 then your chambers may also need it. I would tend to stay away from the "soft" lead bullets for that reason..............................Dick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts