Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, newb here. First time I cleaned my gun I used a shoe box lid with some paper towels to keep CLP from getting on my dining room table. Just went out and bought an actual cleaning pad (nothing fancy, $10 at Walmart) and was wondering before I clean my gun on it, is there anything I’m supposed to do before putting the pad back in storage? I don’t have a place to leave it laid out, so before I fold it back up should I leave it as is and let it dry overnight or maybe rinse it out in the bathtub first and then let it dry? Stupid question probably but really appreciate any feedback/suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Is it a cloth pad? From MidwayUSA, I bought a padded cleaning pad 18 inch x 36 inch. Nothing will penetrate thru it plus surface is padded. It stays on my reloading/gun cleaning bench all the time. I would say your pad could probably be folded and stored in a large zip lock bag

·
Super Moderator
4,052 Posts
If it has a plastic/vinyl surface just wipe it down before you put it away. I strongly recommend finding somewhere to leave it laid out instead of folding/rolling it up. It's annoying as heck the next time you want to use it and the edges keep curling up from being rolled/folded up. Can you stick it in the garage somewhere? You can't hurt it.

I have one but more times than not I just lay out an old towel on my gun bench when I clean a gun. I fold it up when I'm done and stick it on a shelf under the bench.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I do not have a cleaning pad, but I use lots and lots of newspapers to soak up any spills and bought a small Rubbermaid tote to carry around and store my cleaning supplies and spare parts. Odors will not leak from the Rubbermaid and it seems pretty rugged leak resistant

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I do not have a cleaning pad, but I use lots and lots of newspapers to soak up any spills and bought a small Rubbermaid tote to carry around and store my cleaning supplies and spare parts. Odors will not leak from the Rubbermaid and it seems pretty rugged leak resistant
I was going to suggest putting down newspapers under his cleaning pad ...of the 7 people I work with and my 2 grown kids ...I'm the only person who gets a newspaper ... do any young people even know what a printed news paper is ?
Everone I know looks at their smarty phone and facebook for news .
I like having a paper ... they come in handy protecting surfaces and when cleaning fish !
Gary

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't think I have seen a newspaper since 1998. :)

Seriously, unless you are in a small apartment, try to find a better place than the dining room table. It will keep the peace with the lady of the house much better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Google- "gun cleaning rags spontaneous combustion"

Thought you were being sarcastic for a second there. Didn’t know this was actually a thing. Thanks for the heads up! Going to read up on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I have seen a newspaper since 1998. :)

Seriously, unless you are in a small apartment, try to find a better place than the dining room table. It will keep the peace with the lady of the house much better.

If it has a plastic/vinyl surface just wipe it down before you put it away. I strongly recommend finding somewhere to leave it laid out instead of folding/rolling it up. It's annoying as heck the next time you want to use it and the edges keep curling up from being rolled/folded up. Can you stick it in the garage somewhere? You can't hurt it.

I have one but more times than not I just lay out an old towel on my gun bench when I clean a gun. I fold it up when I'm done and stick it on a shelf under the bench.

Yep, in an apartment :/ no garage to store things at. I wait until the missus and the baby have gone to bed then I set up on the table. Clean up after myself good so the next day no one can tell I was even there haha at first she was uncomfortable with me owning a firearm but she’s starting to warm up to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info so far everyone. For reference, this is the cleaning pad I bought. Again, nothing fancy just 10 bucks at local Walmart. I store all my gun cleaning supplies in an open shoe box in my closet.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had a similar mat for years. I let it air dry, then fold it - felt to felt - so the oily surface doesn't touch the rubber bottom. Fold a few more times and put it in a zip lock in the bottom of the tool box. I can't actually zip the bag shut. This has worked for me and doesn't seem any work for wear.

I have a workbench, so no harm from spills there. On the kitchen table, I'd probably put down some cardboard or an old bath towel for an extra layer of protection for the finish on the table.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Google- "gun cleaning rags spontaneous combustion"
Do you have accurate information on this specifically, or are you just perpetuating junk science?

Oils are not all alike, when it comes to spontaneous heating. Petroleum oils do not cause spontaneous heating in fiber-based materials. Natural oils, such as linseed or vegetable, definitely do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Related but a little off

Noob question. Do I have to use the cleaning pads you buy or can I cut up old t-shirts to the correct size and use them?

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,730 Posts
Noob question. Do I have to use the cleaning pads you buy or can I cut up old t-shirts to the correct size and use them?
If it is cotton or mostly cotton blend, have at it. I find that Poly and most high-tech fabrics will not do as well for cleaning.

My old T-shirts end up as shop rags, so they never see a gun.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I clean my guns on a piece of cardboard and then just throw it in recycle when it gets too saturated...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Do you have accurate information on this specifically, or are you just perpetuating junk science?

Oils are not all alike, when it comes to spontaneous heating. Petroleum oils do not cause spontaneous heating in fiber-based materials. Natural oils, such as linseed or vegetable, definitely do.
I just gave a suggestion to look at information that anyone can find so they can make their own informed decision for a course of action.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts