Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan
26 Posts
The interior of the dies are meant to be smooth as glass and corn cob or walnut media could scratch it. About once a year I pull my rifle dies apart, using Lucas oil gun scrubber or something similar clean it all out, wipe it down and reassemble. I do my pistol dies more often because they get use 3X's as much.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
The interior of the dies are meant to be smooth as glass and corn cob or walnut media could scratch it.
I get the “smooth as glass” part, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around the media scratching it..........

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan
26 Posts
Well I've never seen a instructional video by RCBS or Lee telling you it's best to throw them in a tumbler. In fact if you contact any reloading manufacturer they would wonder what kind of parts cleaner you been sniffing.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Well I've never seen a instructional video by RCBS or Lee telling you it's best to throw them in a tumbler.
True, I’ve never seen it either. When this thread first started I tried it, it works but you need to blow the dies out afterwards........more work than it’s worth.

Personally I don’t see how it could scratch the dies. The media isn’t be compressed in the die, its just “moving around “ the same way it moves around a piece of brass. Since brass cartridges are softer than a die why aren’t the cases scratched up? Maybe I’m missing something here, I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lots of good info and ideas here, have not seen any mention of carbide dies. Do not think carbide will "rust", but steel part will. I would be concerned with tumbling more than one at a time. Carbide is extremely hard but brittle and banging together could cause the carbide to crack.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts