Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to clean it? I mean after each range session.
Use a rag moisten with solvent?
Can I use silicone cloth?

How you do it?, Please share

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I wipe mine down with Hoppes 9 to get the powder residue off, and if it has some lead fouling, a Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth(DONT use on a blued gun) takes care of the rest. I then buff it with someting cotton(old T shirt) to bring back the luster and remove fingerprints. Thats the beauty of stainless, no oil or wax is needed then, as you need for a blued gun. When you said "SS" I assume you meant Stainless Steel, Not Single Six, correct? I gave advise for Stainless Steel

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I wipe mine down with Hoppes 9 to get the powder residue off, and if it has some lead fowling, a Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth(DONT use on a blued gun) takes care of the rest. I then buff it with someting cotton(old T shirt) to bring back the luster and remove fingerprints. Thats the beauty of stainless, no oil or wax is needed then, as you need for a blued gun. When you said "SS" I assume you meant Stainless Steel, Not Single Six, correct? I gave advise for Stainless Steel
+1.

I remove the powder residue with Hoppe's and then rub down with a lightly oiled cloth before putting back in the safe. When the nasty stuff builds up too much on the cylinder face, out comes the lead free cloth.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I wipe mine down with Hoppes 9 to get the powder residue off, and if it has some lead fowling, a Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth(DONT use on a blued gun) takes care of the rest. I then buff it with someting cotton(old T shirt) to bring back the luster and remove fingerprints. Thats the beauty of stainless, no oil or wax is needed then, as you need for a blued gun. When you said "SS" I assume you meant Stainless Steel, Not Single Six, correct? I gave advise for Stainless Steel
Plus One.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I run a boresnake with CLP or HOPPES oil through every handgun and rifle after I get done at the range or at home if it is not a nice day out. I then wipe the exterior with a soft gun cloth with CLP or HOPPES OIL on it. I put them in their gun bag and put safely away. No muss, no fuss.

ALL STAINLESS OF COURSE!!!

GB45

·
Registered
223 Posts
hoppes #9

and an old tooth brush work wonders ! if you want to add some shine to an already polished S/S gun i use mothers alum/mag wheel polish, wow what a look. just dont over do it unless you want a mirror shine!! stainless get dull as you will see when the black shows on your rag. do NOT use on blue or plated guns----DO NOT!!!!!!!!! it WILL REMOVE the finish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like most, I clean the exterior of my stainless steel guns with Hoppes. Then I spray sparingly (from a short distance) with Rem Oil, then wipe off excess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After read your posts, I did this. I used Hoppes 9 for bore and chambers. For external I used breakfree CLP (poured it on the patch and buffed). Followed by my old (cotton) T shirt. Finally use silicone cloth before put it in the safe. Is it ok?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
What North Country Gal does is what I have done for the last 30 some years with no problems. It does get rather humid in Kansas, too.

·
Super Moderator
21,714 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I'd like to ask though, how do you buff minor surface scratches out?
Whichever one is your preference. I use Mothers Mag polish. I have taken some real tough marks out with wet sandpaper. I used 400 and then 600 and then went to the Mothers Mag. If they are light scratches then the MM or Fritz by themselves will do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts