Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a book suggests that we should use a brush one-size-up to clean our chambers in order to get more effective result. In my case, .38 special sp 101, I should use .40 brush.

Anyone is doing this? Any real benefit?,

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I read a book suggests that we should use a brush one-size-up to clean our chambers in order to get more effective result. In my case, .38 special sp 101, I should use .40 brush.

If I get lazy and let a little carbon ring build up in the 357 after shooting 38 specials in it...I do use a bigger brush...I use a 40/45 cal brush..carefully and it works just fine....if your SP is a 38 special only and not a 357 it may not be as big a deal...I have an SP in both 38 special and in 357...I seldom if ever use the bigger brush in the 38 special only and frequently use it in the 357 chamber......your mileage may vary.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nope, always use and have never had any problem using the same calibre brush.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to. Even used the .45 brush from the front of the cylinders to get them really spotless. Since I've discovered lead-away cloths, I've found I don't need to scrub the chambers as hard, if at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have been using a .40 brush when cleaning my .38/.357 revolvers. Whether that is necessary is another ting. After brushing I still have to run patches to finish the cleaning.:)

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I've always done just fine using a .38 bore brush on the chambers. I doubt the few thousandths fatter .40 would help much. You wiggle the rod more than that when cleaning them.

·
Registered
534 Posts

That's what I use..................works great!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts