Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my nano since february, and was shooting each week and cleaning after each shooting. i can't afford lately to shoot and won't be able to till at least december or january. i last cleaned my nano in the middle of june, i noticed today a few places in the back that had lint inside. not bad but enough that i took a toothpick and got it out. i carry daily so do you think i should clean monthly or every 2-3 months? its been 3 months since i last broke it down to clean. thanks

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I am not an expert, but if I were carrying it everyday, I would at least clean it monthly. A friend of mine cleans his carry gun once a week. Probably as many opinions on that as there are members on this forum.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You need to decide what is right for you. Yes there will be many different opinions on this topic.

For my carry weapon, I do try to clean it at least monthly, I want to make sure if I need it, the weapon will function.

There are time that life gets in the way and I might not make a range visit in a month, Sad but true, in those case I always clean at the end of the month. I hope I have been to the range at least once and maybe weekly on a good month.

You decide what is right and the environment you carry in. For me the summer is warmer and I carry IWB so there is more chance for moisture so I want to make sure my weapon is ready if needed.

Cleaning monthly works for me, you can decide what will work for you.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Cleaning it monthly would be a good idea. Shouldn't involve more than just a field strip with a rub down with a clean cloth and a light coat of lube.

·
Banned
650 Posts
My holsters do a good job of keeping the lint out of my carry guns. I clean my carry guns when they look dry. If you are consistently finding lint in your Nano I would consider turning your pockets inside out when you put your pants in the dirty clothes. If you are still finding lint in the Nano I would consider a new holster. It is pretty hard to get lint in a semi auto.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I guess monthly is about right for my CCW (1911 commander size).

I don't have to check the lube, FL, because it doesn't evaporate. But when I carried my GP or my Cougar, lint was a problem. Rather than do a full take down, I'd just field strip with 100psi air and just blew everything clean.

Don't forget your mags!

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I'll add my vote for the monthly cleaning. If you pocket carry (in a pocket holster, of course), it will pick up a lot of lint.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts