Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to go in the category of what was he thinking. To be an LEO at a shooting range to go though qualification and to come back from lunch drunk :eek:. One would also assume that he had to be driving drunk to get to and from lunch (unless of course he was with a group of his buddies which would be even worse) :(. It will be interesting to see what happens at the hearing.

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -
Booze and bullets, a veteran Cleveland Police Officer reportedly drunk at the shooting range.

Multiple sources confirm Patrolman Edward Rock fell and hit his head at the west side shooting range Thursday.

We are told Rock was there to take a regular firearms test and when he came back from lunch, he seemed to have been drinking.

The Police Patrolman's Union says Rock has been taken off the job and he will have a hearing Monday.
Officer reportedly drunk at shooting range - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|Breaking News, Weather, Exclusives

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Not only did he put himself at risk, but that of his colleagues.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
To show such a lack of good judgement and self control leads me to believe this officer has a serious drinking problem that has finally gotten out of control.

What was he thinking? After the first drink with lunch he probably wasn't thinking at all.

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as he pays his dues the union will protect him
Sad but often true.

Not only did he put himself at risk, but that of his colleagues.
As well as the range staff and any members of the general public that may have happened to be there.

To show such a lack of good judgement and self control leads me to believe this officer has a serious drinking problem that has finally gotten out of control.

What was he thinking? After the first drink with lunch he probably wasn't thinking at all.
That was my initial thought when I read this story as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow. That just strikes me as so irresponsible. I like to drink a bit, but will not even go near a firearm when I do. I was at buddies place a few week back, with some other friends, and we had all had a few beers, and a bunch of the guys decided to target practice while drinking their beers. My friend lives way out in the country, and has a dirt mound set up for shooting at targets. But I just decided to excuse myself and go on home. I have known too many instances of people mixing drinking and firearms that turned out bad.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
As well as the range staff and any members of the general public that may have happened to be there.
Usually when our police have a training day they have the range to themselves.
I have shot with them however.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'll reserve judgement till the facts are in. If he had been drinking, needs proper action taken, and no excuse. I have however seen people with diabetes appear intoxicated. Article states no facts.

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll reserve judgement till the facts are in. If he had been drinking, needs proper action taken, and no excuse. I have however seen people with diabetes appear intoxicated. Article states no facts.
I'll be following the story and will post updates.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Great point. I live with a diabetic, and thats a fact.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
The diabetic (or medication) angle should be considered ... "he seemed to have been drinking."

I wonder if a sobriety test was administered.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have however seen people with diabetes appear intoxicated.
I have also.
Though you'd almost have to think that his colleagues would know if he was diabetic or not.
You know, testing BSL all the time, administering insulin (if insulin dependant), ? hypoglycaemic previously.
Remember he's driving a car as well (maybe endorsed on his licence).

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No update is available yet from yesterday's hearing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts