Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, All. This is my first post here on the Forum. I thought I'd try to contribute something rather than jump in with a question.

Here are some photos I took of the powders that I currently have on hand. Feel free to look, and to share them if you wish. If anyone else wants to add other powders to this list, you certainly can.

Mods, if it would help to save bandwidth I can edit this message with links to each photo instead of the pics themselves, making this page load much quicker.

EDITED 11-06-2007: Here are the same powders, only photographed under different lighting and with a different background. Let me know what you think of the change.

Shot against 1/4" graph reference paper. I could have kept more detail in the pics, but I tried to keep each file to under 30Kb for dial up users like myself.

The BL-(C)2 photo is from the last batch because currently I am out of it, and I was too lazy to pull a bullet to get some powder. :p

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will have to look at my camera's manual to see if I have a macro setting. Otherwise I would never get the fine detail you have in your photos.

·
Administrator
22,421 Posts
Unique is an Alliant powder. Thats my limited contribution to this exercise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great info ! Thanks.

Nitesite, this is the my first visit to the handloading forum. I have enjoyed building handloads primarily for revolvers and have used several of the powders pictured here. Interesting how Hodgdon uses colored 'flakes' in their powder to identify them. Outstanding idea.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey nitesite, Wheres the blue dots in the blue dot?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not Hodgdon

That would be Alliant (formerly Hercules) using the colored flakes.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great pictures, thank you nitesight and crazy4nitro.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but NEVER use a picture to identify an unknown powder. If it didn't come out of a manufacturer's canister, making a guess as to what it is, based soley on a picture, can be extremely dangerous.

Those of us who have been reloading for many years may be able to indentify a powder by sight, but don't forget that those in the beginning stages of reloading use this site as a source of information. We need to make sute that we give them them not only the best information based on our expreience, but, more importantly, the safest information.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great pictures, thank you nitesight and crazy4nitro.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but NEVER use a picture to identify an unknown powder. If it didn't come out of a manufacturer's canister, making a guess as to what it is, based soley on a picture, can be extremely dangerous.

Those of us who have been reloading for many years may be able to indentify a powder by sight, but don't forget that those in the beginning stages of reloading use this site as a source of information. We need to make sute that we give them them not only the best information based on our expreience, but, more importantly, the safest information.

I appreciate your warning AP, but I think some people would be able to use these pictures in different ways. One way I could think of is figuring if one type of powder will meter well out of my particular measure. Maybe something like Bluedot throws very consistently and another powder like Titegroup does not. Maybe Bullseye or another powder leaks out of my measure. I would be able to look at these pictures and have a rough idea if my measure will agree with a particular powder.

Thanks for taking the time to take these pics Nitesite and C4N!!

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Does anyone know of a good place to learn about how gunpowder is made? I'm interested to learn about the different types, why there's different shapes, advantages, why they perform differently, etc...

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know this is an old thread, and I agree with A Patriot about not using photos to identify powder. But I found being able to see the different powders so clearly quite helpful. I already have my own that I use, but I am still fairly new to reloading, so it is nice to compare.

Thanks for the photos.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts