Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
While not as useful as the OP's close-up photos of various powders, I still like to see my powdershelf look like this

I get really nervous when the stash gets low, especially of my favorites.
I have 2 one pounders and 1 8 pounder, mostly of Titegroup. I got into reloading at the wrong time. :eek:

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Possibly, you might take offense to this but my thoughts are that powder should be stored in wood walled containers at least one inch thick separate from powders.

SAMMI has published guidelines for powder & primer storage.

In the event of a powder fire just leave.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Just saw my pics died somewhere along Photobucket's journey of "upgrades" but I can't edit the post so I will repost them. If a mod would please delete that post I would appreciate it.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Just saw my pics died somewhere along Photobucket's journey of "upgrades" but I can't edit the post so I will repost them. If a mod would please delete that post I would appreciate it.

You can delete your own posts. Just go to edit and the option to delete is there.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
The post I just did shows the edit button but the previous one doesn't. Thus my request.
Hmmm, are you using a PC or something else.

Well, as long as you accomplish what you intended.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lots of really good photos here, especially for new reloaders like myself. The only one I can add, beyond what everyone else has already posted, is Hodgdon's H110 pictured with a small pistol primer. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is very cool! good idea to share this! thank you.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
This thread is interesting, but I have to confess, besides seeing that different powders look different, I don't understand the point of this thread...

The chemical and physical composition of each powder is unique. They are developed as trade secrets. Single base, double base, a huge variety of burn rates and gas generation characteristics. None of this can be determined visually.

Reloading manuals exist because you have to determine safe loads (that don't generate overpressure) experimentally. This is done with instrumented chambers using specific compoinents and known powders. The experiements are measured, and the information on safe minimum and maximum loads of a specific powder / case / bullet / primer / chamber / barrel combination are published.

Going below the minimum or above the maximum generates dangerous overpressure.

- - - -

So... you find an unknown powder. Do you compare it to the pictures in this thread, and load according to the tables for a powder that it looks like? I don't think so! That is unless you want to perform your own experiments...

if you find an unknown powder, throw it away....

21 - 40 of 54 Posts