Ruger Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Going below the minimum or above the maximum generates dangerous overpressure.
This is still a topic of research.

Too much? Usually boom but not always.

Too little? Sometimes one gets what is called "detonation". Smokeless propellants don't explode, they deflagrate. Difference between the two is the speed of reaction. The rule I heard of was the cut off was the speed of sound in the medium versus the burn rate along a line.

I've never seen detonation. I don't stray too far from manufacturer's suggested loads either.

Some people see things like failure to cycle an action, maybe a round stuck in the barrel. Most of us just see disappointing range results.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Possibly, you might take offense to this but my thoughts are that powder should be stored in wood walled containers at least one inch thick separate from powders.

SAMMI has published guidelines for powder & primer storage.

In the event of a powder fire just leave.
That's been a standard for powder quantities over 50 pounds. Cabinets with one inch thick walls that will char.

I've been told that using a fire extinguisher on burning propellant is a bad idea. Just disperses it. Pouring sand or some other medium on it causes it to burn at higher pressures.

One could dump it in water. I've never tried it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is still a topic of research.

Too much? Usually boom but not always.

Too little? Sometimes one gets what is called "detonation". Smokeless propellants don't explode, they deflagrate. Difference between the two is the speed of reaction. The rule I heard of was the cut off was the speed of sound in the medium versus the burn rate along a line.

I've never seen detonation. I don't stray too far from manufacturer's suggested loads either.

Some people see things like failure to cycle an action, maybe a round stuck in the barrel. Most of us just see disappointing range results.
Explosives detonate. Smokeless powder is an accelerant that burns fast.

Under loaded cartridges develop dangerous pressures as bullets encounter resistance traveling over the rifling leade into the barrel.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts