Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to try the CMP Rimfire Sporter match this winter at a local club. I've read that the 10/22 may not be the best option for this match. Any comments?

Also, can anyone either scan or send a photo of the two targets (1 for standing, one for prone/sitting)? I'd like to see the difference in the aiming (white) area between the two. The 50' reduced target is the one I'm interested in.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Take your 10/22 and go compete. You are not going to win your first match no matter how good you might be. I can tell you right now the competitive shooters are going to put all their shots in an area the size of a pencil eraser. Just be cool and hang out with the other competitors. You need to be accepted so you can join a club so you can get a decent rifle at half price. Then you need to learn to set that rifle up.

Your first match is about proving you handle a firearm safely under pressure. Under the pressure of competition you will make some mistakes. I shoot IDPA matches. Most people there have competed in other shooting sports. Yet all of us have been DQed at some point. The guys/gals that shake it off, fix the problem and come back are accepted.

The best way to become competitive in CMP is go to a Project Appleseed camp. http://appleseedinfo.org/

You need to find a Savage Mark II rifle. Someone in your neighborhood has one. The Savage you borrow will not be competitive but it will get you through Appleseed. You can get through Appleseed and get a rifleman patch with a 10/22. I got my patch with a 10/22 but it is much easier with a bolt action rifle. Appleseed will train you with a scope but you cannot use a scope in smallbore competition. Williams #44565 sights are best for your 10/22 They cost $50 but if you are serious about being a competitive shooter they are worth the money. Some of the older marlins and mossberg rifles are competitive but you need to learn the ins and outs of the game before you start buying rifles.

Here are the targets
http://thecmp.org/clubs/sales-index/targets/

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The 10/22 is just fine, in fact, great for the CMP match. The 10/22 is plenty accurate, cheap, and easy to use. You'll need a shooting sling and sights. A scope is easiest to use. I have one with a Williams peep and one with a red dot. I have shot it with a 4X Weaver scope, works fine, even got a Gold with it. Most if not all will shoot in the 10 ring if the shooter can. I would recommend a trigger job but it has to be at least 3-1/2 LB pull. Practice, it's more the shooter than the gun at 25 and 50 yds.
I also tried it with a bolt gun but it is easier with the semi.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The first perfect 600 score in a CMP RS match was made this year with a 10/22 based rifle. So much for the 10/22 deniers out there.

You will be fine as a beginner with your 10/22. Talk with the other competitors and find out what tweaks and mods they recommend. I'd say your first mod will be to improve the trigger. Then you will want to decide on a sighting system - open irons or scope. Note that aperture iron sights compete in the Optics class.

You will learn much more from a day spent with other RS shooters than you ever could on an interwebz forum.

·
Banned
650 Posts
The first perfect 600 score in a CMP RS match was made this year with a 10/22 based rifle. So much for the 10/22 deniers out there.
10/22 based is lot different than a stock 10/22. A 10/22 based rifle might not have had a single Ruger part on it. The chances are the rifle only used a Ruger magazine. I am not an idiot. I used to shoot NRA smallbore. There isn't that much difference in NRA smallbore and CMP.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Appleseed recommends a 10/22 with Tech Sights. That'll make a rifleman out of anyone.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Tech sights are very good. I like them a lot. Tech sights are probably the best sights you can buy for practical shooting. Once a shooter masters tech sights they will not need a scope for a 22lr until their arms are to short to read the newspaper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I compete with my 10/22 in the CMP matches...face some stiff competition...each time get better and better. Go with the idea of fun and learning from other competitors. Find a rule book just to give you an idea on the commands used.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I compete with my 10/22 in the CMP matches...face some stiff competition...each time get better and better. Go with the idea of fun and learning from other competitors. Find a rule book just to give you an idea on the commands used.
You're about where i was when I was shooting NRA smallbore. Each match I just hoped to do well enough that my card was in the pile that actually had to be carefully scored. I learned a lot and met some cool people. Now I am shooting IDPA. Every so often I run into someone I shot with in the past. After a couple years of IDPA I have a new circle of old friends :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're about where i was when I was shooting NRA smallbore. Each match I just hoped to do well enough that my card was in the pile that actually had to be carefully scored. I learned a lot and met some cool people. Now I am shooting IDPA. Every so often I run into someone I shot with in the past. After a couple years of IDPA I have a new circle of old friends :)
Haha yes that is exactly where I am at...still have a ways to go. Competing against people that have shot their whole lives, but it is totally fun and enjoyable and relaxing. The relaxing part really amazed me. Get a little nervous during the competition, but keep my ears open for the commands and ignore everything else...just me and my gun and the target. Also met a lot of nice people that are so helpful. What does IDPA stand for?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are literally dozens of types of pistol and rifle competitions you can enter. This is probably not the correct forum to deep dive into that subject.

I'd suggest starting with a Google search of gun clubs in your area and see what they offer as most clubs offer some type of match or league.

Then, contact whomever is listed and tell them you're a beginner. I've yet to find a match director who turns away a new shooter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
pistol caliber

I spent 20 yes in the Army part of the time with the 1911 45 call and part of the time with the new 9mm.

I purchased a new Roger SR9 9mm. I'm now considering buying a custom Hill Country Hangups (Texas) in maybe 10mm. Any thoughts?

I shot an amazing 357 magnum made by Connor. I was unable to find them at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are literally dozens of types of pistol and rifle competitions you can enter. This is probably not the correct forum to deep dive into that subject.

I'd suggest starting with a Google search of gun clubs in your area and see what they offer as most clubs offer some type of match or league.

Then, contact whomever is listed and tell them you're a beginner. I've yet to find a match director who turns away a new shooter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts