Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I went to Waffle House for coffee this afternoon, and had just gotten our first cups. I had my legs up on the booth in the back corner and a waitress' two young daughters were using my legs for booster chairs drinking some pink goop. Another old guy in the next booth had just said something about we didn't get much done drinking coffee-our 3rd trip in today-and BOOM went a gun up front near the cash register. I slid out and dumped the girls on the floor and headed for the front-saw that noone had a gun in their hand but a 4-some of young men were near the cash register-three looking at the 4th, who had a cellphone to his left ear and his right hand deep in his right front pocket, fumbling. I closed in on him and reached across his body, standing to the left of him, and told him quietly that he had something in his pocket that he was going to give up to me real easily and right now-put it in my hand...keeping my left hand free-I had him 3 ways without drawing or even putting my hand under my shirt...he looked up at me and I told him "Now-real easy"-and he slowly pulled out the little .22 revolver (RG10) with thumb and finger and let me take it-I sat him down and pulled up his shorts leg-it'd burned him badly but the bullet missed his knee, leg, and foot and shattered on the floor-shards like drill trash were everywhere. The biggest of his friends came up and started yammering and I put my finger in his face and told him I was an old, fat, ex-cop and I wasn't going to put up with any of his .... and to go sit down-and he did. The others did, too, and I told the mgr. to call the police...he said "Do we need the police?" DUH!...I told him a bit louder and he did-the young man (17) sat and waited and when they got there-I gave the gun to one (who knew me) and they took him out-then searched his "buds" who were 2 juvies and a 17-year-old. I got the privilige of writing a police report again-first time in about a year-and when the officer took my ID to add to the rpt., he said-"He's lucky you didn't shoot him." I told him it just didn't happen that way-he doesn't even know I have a gun." Had two actually-I carry heavy for benefit of my unpermitted buddy...just one more instance where old fat grey-haired guys who will step up can make a difference...it made my day in a big way...I actually felt useful.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well done sheepdog. Hopefully this punk will get a Little time to think about what he did. He is lucky he didn't really hurt himself or even worse some poor bystander. It's people like this that give all gun owners a bad name. Hard for me to believe that the manager didn't want to call the police, sounds a little funny to me. I wonder if this will go any further as to find out where a minor came up with a revolver to start with.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He told me he'd just "found it" and was going to call the police to turn it in-but they'd ordered sodas and not the phone--and not the cell-phone in his hand! You've seen kids fiddle in their pocket while they talked on the phone-he hit a high note!! Being 17-he gets big jail...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sheepdog, you handled that one just fine. No mess or fuss, and kept the other customers from getting all upset. The guys lucky he didn't pull the pea shooter out of his pocket as a reaction to the AD, then you would have been upset with him!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Sheepdog, Great story, good ending, thanks for your years of service to the community and thank God for the wisdom that time has imparted to you and the courage to act upon it. May He continue to bless you, peace.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some be butchers, some be bakers, some be sheepdogs...God help us all do what we can do to His glory...He uses imperfect folks with sin and shortcomings 'cause that's the only kind of people He has here...and He's got that covered, too...good to know He has my back...

·
Registered
758 Posts
You did good.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I don't know how I missed this post the first time! Good Job and glad no one got hurt!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah...just a punk trying to impress his homeys-and literally blew his cool!!!He'll be the talk of the town, all right-not the way he planned...no plot-they'd ordered sodas and paid for them after the oops...just kids beind stupid-and one paid the bill by going to the pokey...the other 3 may have learned?...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well it just proves that gun laws dont work.A legal honest citizen has more trouble getting a gun than a dumb teenager.[:I]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, kinda like... and if all the gun I can get easy is an RG10, I b'lieve I'll go through the check...RG's ok long as you throw in a U and tag on an ER ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Now we know why sheepdog is my newest hero. Great job; your experience handled the situation well. Turning a RG into a RUGER...that's a great idea. Regards...Ron

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
[/size=3]
Well he is lucky that he didn't get shot himself. I bet that sure hurt too,be a while before that heals up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts