Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else see this on the Military History Channel? This sniper gun hits a four foot target at 2,500 yards. Barrett, I think is the name of the gunmaker. Uses a .416 or something, smaller than a 50 cal, and uses just super high velocity to keep the bullet supersonic over great, great distances. Interesting and impressive, to say the least!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah can you imagine how much of a delay there would be before you heard it at that distance?? Someone better at math than me could say, but I imagine you'd have time to say, "what the *&%#$????"

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
I'm sure glad I'm not 4 feet wide!:D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The black circle of the target was four feet wide. The 'X', the guy said (the guy doing the show was a former Navy Seal sniper - talk about a bada$$ title for your business card! - anyway, the shot was maybe thirteen inches low and three inches right. He said he was treating the X as center mass, and concluded this single shot from a mile and a half away would have been a fatal gut shot. Impressive.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Must have one hell of a scope and a solid rest. He was probably dead on and the axial rotation of the earth is what threw him off.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, surprisingly they didn't talk about the scope. They gave 90% of the credit to the gun and bullet together, and 10% to the shooter. I would think the optics would be about half the discussion. But the scope did not seem excessively large or anything. And he made the shot prone, with a bipod or whatever you call it on the front of the gun.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you get a chance, rent Shooter at the video store. There are some very realistic sniper scenes in the movie. Besides, it's just a good movie. [^]

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shooter is on my Netflix list. I like Wahlberg, just saw Invincible again the other night. Looking forward to Shooter.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Shooter is a good movie, Markie gets some good roles, but his politics truly suck. He is an anti.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I enjoyed Bourne Ultimatum, I just have to ignore Damon's politics too. If I boycotted actors who I strongly disagree with politically, I'd never see ANY movies!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
for everything they show there is far more that is not shown and for good reaqson.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recall a similar (if not the same) program and there was a very sophistocated optics system involved with an integrated computer that factored a large number of factors into the reticle positioning. It not only had info on the load characteristics and distance, but also used info on temperature, humidity, altitude, wind etc. to make sighting adjustments automatically.

Nick

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Shooter was a bit far fetched, some of their "facts" were quite a bit off, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Big guns are a good time. There are several more accurate long range loads but I like the one that makes the biggest hole...the 50BMG :D

There's hand-held weather stations, laser rangefinders, and digital ballistic calculators you can use nowadays. I have the most respect for people that can make extreme shots the 'ol fashioned way.

There's a company making a Vulcan 20mm based gun. Now that'd be a fun one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts