Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an AR and I have a coworker that is interested in selling his Colt AR-15. It is a Colt Heavy Barrel Match with a 20" barrel chambered in 5.56 NATO. He bought it in 1982 for $1,100 and told me to make him an offer. The gun is in absolutely perfect condition. If I didn't know any better, I would say it had never been shot. Anyone have any ideas on what a reasonable offer is?

I told him I wasn't sure if his particular model has increased or decreased in value so I wasn't sure of an offer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pricing has as much to do with condition and options as anything. Do a quick search on the internet to see what similar models are going for. Most are still going for about that same price depending on model of course. The catch is that you rarely see many used ones available so if you can snag it for a hundred or so less than new...

Any options added and included with it? Optics, extra mags, aftermarket add-ons?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He says he has a pile of magazines but I think he is just looking to unload those. He is getting towards retirement age, he has an arsenal of guns (and by arsenal, I mean 50+ guns) and I think he is just looking to start getting rid of some of the guns he doesn't use. I am not looking to take advantage of him by any means but if he wants to give me a good deal, I am not going to complain.

I did do a quick search on GunBroker and the prices are all over the place. Ranging from $650-$1,200. I am having a hard time wanting to offer the same price he paid for a gun over 30 years ago. I want to offer $800-$900 but I don't want to insult him since he is a colleague.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If he paid $1100.00 in '82 it must be very special. Ask him the details of this gun. I didn't think these guns in perfect condition lost any value.

·
Registered
485 Posts
For a Colt AR from 1982...

$800.00..........test the water. If he has that many firearms, he's probably done research on a fair price himself.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There are many good 5.56 A/Rs' around, that you can get new under $1k, instead of paying $$$ for an '82, unless its for your collection...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your responses! model1911, you express my sentiments exactly. Ideally, I want a new one but I don't really want to pay the price and the more I look into this gun, the more I am realizing that it may be geared more towards someone collecting guns. Maybe for someone who already has 4 or 5 ARs.

I feel like I maybe rationalizing to try to justify making a purchase. I think I will pass unless he gives me a great deal (say in the $800 range).

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,320 Posts
I have the 24" barrel version. The last time I had it at the range, I put three rounds through the same hole at 100 yards from sandbags on a bench. The retail price on a new one is $1374. I paid about $1100 for mine about two years ago. They are very heavy. They are great for varmit hunting or target shooting. They are not great for carrying long distances.

For a first fun AR-15, I would look at the Colt 6920.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am in the market for an AR and I have a coworker that is interested in selling his Colt AR-15. It is a Colt Heavy Barrel Match with a 20" barrel chambered in 5.56 NATO. He bought it in 1982 for $1,100 and told me to make him an offer. The gun is in absolutely perfect condition. If I didn't know any better, I would say it had never been shot. Anyone have any ideas on what a reasonable offer is?

I told him I wasn't sure if his particular model has increased or decreased in value so I wasn't sure of an offer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Make him a offer, all he can do is say no or make a counteroffer to you. In my experiance mint Colt ARs don't sell cheap though. I have a heavy barrel Colt match target and it is a very accurate rifle.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Back in 82 as a newly minted yeller bar w/family, :D I couldn't afford very many guns (but I could and did shoot a lot), but I do recall that ARs were very rare and the Colts were about all I ever saw. His quoted price seems right in 82, but this is not 1982, (Pres. Reagan is sadly gone, but loved by us who served under him) and today everybody except Sears is making a AR.

S&W M&P15 start at $500 (and go up) and for my money today, they are better than my Colt (a 92 model). I built a AR a couple weeks ago that cost me $629 less the stripped lower for a 24" bull stainless barreled upper by LMT, A2 stock, Chrome bolt carrier group, Free Floating Hand guard, ans a 2 stage trigger group. Yes it's a tack driver.

In the end he should price his own gun in my opinion. Tell him that you value your friendship more than the price of any gun and would be much more comfortable with him pricing his gun, that if you can you'd like it in part because it would come from him, if that's important to you, but have him price it, you can always say no. I've never made a friend mad by buying a gun at their price, but I did shake up one friendship by shooting too low when I did offer a bid on one. That happened a long time ago, and I've not repeated the error.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's input. I went up to a local gun store and I was looking at some handguns when I overheard someone ask if they had any Colt ARs in stock. They had a used Colt HBar Match Elite (what are the chances??) that looked to be pretty heavily used but in good working condition. It was being sold for $800. I told my coworker about the experience and he immediately responded with "I think I would be willing to sell mine for $800."

I said nothing more than "I will have the money for you after the new year."

Considering his gun is pristine and he will be giving me a boat load a magazines and ammo, I think I just made a great deal.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a great deal for you - and if you can't find the cash, pass my name along to him.:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Excellent buy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts