Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt Detective Special that my Grandfather bought new in 1968 after MLK was shot. My Mom just got it from my Aunt to possibly start using it as her EDC. We took it to the range yesterday and it shot great. Mom was getting some real nice groups. But then after about 50 rounds the firing pin broke.

I've done a little research and can't seem to find a replacement pin anywhere that has them in stock or that can be easily reached. I will also need a replacement retaining pin that holds the firing pin in the hammer. I'm pretty sure I can do this job myself but if I have any doubts I will find a Gunsmith to do it for me.

Anyone have any ideas for finding a replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
It won't be cheap, but contact Gary Reeder Custom Guns in Arizona.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You may want to ask this question on the Colt Forum. Almost certain someone there will have a solid answer for you. Hope you can get what you need.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may want to ask this question on the Colt Forum. Almost certain someone there will have a solid answer for you. Hope you can get what you need.
I have this posted there as well. This is by far the BEST forum out there so I'm looking for all the help I can get. :)

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with Colt Customer Service.

Now I know why all my guns are and will always be Rugers.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have got hard to find parts here in the past: Numrich Gun Parts Corporation

If they don't have it in stock Numrich has a waiting list. They buy used guns and part them out. It might take a few months but for a Colt they will come up with a part sooner or later.

I would take that Colt to a competent gunsmith. Unless you have done a lot of gunsmith work in the past you will butcher the hell out of that colt. You can't just take a garden variety screwdriver to that Colt and expect it to come out fine. Trying to save $80 you will trash an $800 gun. Each screw you bugger up will knock at least $100 off the value of the gun. But it's your family heirloom do as you please.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Jtiv19,
I was hoping that info I sent you would have helped locate one. If you can locate the firing pin it shouldn't be hard to swap out. I have set of GS punches and we can fix you up at the range. I forget what year Colt dropped the "D" frames.Just like Ruger when they discontinue a model parts dry up and you have to search and pay dearly in some cases.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would take that Colt to a competent gunsmith. Unless you have done a lot of gunsmith work in the past you will butcher the hell out of that colt. You can't just take a garden variety screwdriver to that Colt and expect it to come out fine. Trying to save $80 you will trash an $800 gun. Each screw you bugger up will knock at least $100 off the value of the gun. But it's your family heirloom do as you please.
I just got the parts ordered from Jack First.

After giving it some thought I'm going to wise up and find a Gunsmith to to the job for me. :) I'd hate to ruin this gun.

Thanks to all for the advice and replies. I will post an update as soon as evrything is back together.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jtiv19,
I was hoping that info I sent you would have helped locate one. If you can locate the firing pin it shouldn't be hard to swap out. I have set of GS punches and we can fix you up at the range. I forget what year Colt dropped the "D" frames.Just like Ruger when they discontinue a model parts dry up and you have to search and pay dearly in some cases.
I meant to thank you earlier for the info you sent. I found the parts needed from Jack First Guns in S.D. Mom has them ordered and on the way. From what I have seen online the retaining pin is peened on both sides of the hammer and then filed to be flush with it. Not sure I want to go that far with it. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I meant to thank you earlier for the info you sent. I found the parts needed from Jack First Guns in S.D. Mom has them ordered and on the way. From what I have seen online the retaining pin is peened on both sides of the hammer and then filed to be flush with it. Not sure I want to go that far with it. Thanks again for your help.
You're welcome. I'm glad you found the parts and have them coming. You are right it would be best to take it to a competent GS. It’s to nice a gun to booger up. I have learned sometimes things aren't as easy as they look. I was impressed with that old Colt when I saw it yesterday. It has been well cared for over the 44(+ -) years. Your mom got a real gem.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I went ahead and replaced the firing pin myself. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. You can see where the rivit holds the firing pin a bit more than the original Colt rivit but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Just got off the phone with Colt Customer Service.

Now I know why all my guns are and will always be Rugers.
Unfortunately, Colt sold their soul to gov't contracts years ago. That's why their customer service is sub-par.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
My biggest regret in not buying a firearm was when a gunsmith I did business with before he passed away offer me a NIB stainless Det Spl for $300 in the 90's. I got cheap and didn't go for it. He had it in his safe and all I had to do was say OK.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My biggest regret in not buying a firearm was when a gunsmith I did business with before he passed away offer me a NIB stainless Det Spl for $300 in the 90's. I got cheap and didn't go for it. He had it in his safe and all I had to do was say OK.
That's a hard one to forget about I bet. :(

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
Another way to look at it is I might not have gotten an SP101 if I had. Not all bad I guess but yes I do still kick myself every now and then.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another way to look at it is I might not have gotten an SP101 if I had. Not all bad I guess but yes I do still kick myself every now and then.
I'd be willing to bet you would have got the SP101 either way. ;) :D

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
colt

I went ahead and replaced the firing pin myself. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. You can see where the rivit holds the firing pin a bit more than the original Colt rivit but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

That is one nice Colt. I've got an Agent and a Cobra, but neither as nice as yours.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts