Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Hope y'all having a good weekend so far. I was hoping to get the eyes of some cowboy action buffs or old Colt SAA and SAA clone fans. Recently, I decided to purchase a gun I've always wanted...an remake of the 1873 Colt Single Action Army revolver in 45 Colt with a 7.5 inch barrel. I wanted as close to authentic as possible, but I found a great deal on my Pietta (brand new) especially considering it was at the peak of the Covid19 panic. So, I settled for grabbing it at a great price, but knowing it was coming with a transfer bar safety.
The bummer is that despite how good these Italian companies have gotten at remaking the old Colt SA's with remarkable quality and resemblance, it ruins some of the authenticity without the trademark firing pin hammer. Yeah yeah, it's less dangerous I know...but if people wanted more safety, there are plenty of modern options like the Ruger Vaquero. Plus they have made them with the original hammer in the past and I believe there are still models where they do. I love historical firearms, and I even treat loading and carrying it as if it has the traditional hammer (load one, skip one, load four). It also has only 3 clicks as opposed to the trademark 4 clicks that spell out C O L T when pulling the hammer back to full cock. There is no quarter cock safety (obviously lol) even though most folks use an empty chamber to rest the hammer on anyways. Still, the authenticity suffers again. Even if it is useless to have, I would prefer it anyways simply to keep it as close to the original peacemaker as possible. I haven't had time to tinker with and learn the SA real well yet, but I am likely capable of the work if this parts change is possible. I'm certainly no gunsmith, but I've done a full trigger job on my GP100 and built my AR15 from parts so I can hold my own with amateur stuff.
So my question is to anyone familiar with the SAA world, cowboy action shooting, etc: Is there any way to remove the transfer bar safety and replace the hammer with one that has the firing pin? As well as the rotating piece with the notches (forget the name) responsible setting the hammer/trigger at half-cock, full-cock, etc? If so, is it hard to do? Expensive? If anyone is knowledgeable in this area and can help, thanks in advance! I know this is a topic hard to find fellow enthusiasts, but I know y'all are out there :)

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
I understand your desire for the real deal, adults only firing pin and lockwork, it's cunning simplicity is a sad trade for a safer gun and I felt the pang when I bought my Vaquero. Since you have the Pietta you should seek a group of Pietta owners since the transfer bar and associated parts and modifications are likely different from Ruger's system. Maybe you could look around and do a trade for an older, unsiissified clone or do like I do and just think about 6 instead of 5 because six shooter sounds better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts