Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Colt sells us out just like Smith and Wesson did 20 years ago.

Before I get to involved with this on a Ruger Forum let me say I do own 5 Ruger revolvers and a 22 rifle.

I haven't bought anything S&W in 20 years now I have to add COLT to the list.
It was a business decision on their part pure and simple . Not exactly "selling us out ".
When Colt stopped making regular production SAA Revolvers nobody hollered "selling us out ". Colts decision doesn't bother me in the least .

When you go fishing do you like to cast or troll ?

Gary

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The black rifle market is saturated with cheap rifles and people building rifles from online parts.. High-end rifles are not selling. The LGS gunsmiths love it with all of the work they are getting from the cheap rifles and home-built rifles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They may be bowing to political pressure. That is a mistake. I recently bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II. Love that rifle. Shoots flawlessly. I have also been stocking up on 30 round magazines from Lancer, etc. I will also be stocking up on replacement parts like firing pins, springs, etc. This is just in case our country stupidly enacts a ban of some kind. I wish they would focus on going after criminals and nut jobs instead of law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I’m curious as to if the OP even owns a Colt, (of any kind) or if this is just a thread about bashing a company that makes a gun that he can’t afford to purchase..............

·
Retired
167 Posts
Years ago, Ruger made firearms and they sit in a warehouse or 40 foot trailer not being sold. There was no profit in this at all. Now days, companies make what is selling and making profit. This is not selling out, but staying in business

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Years ago, Ruger made firearms and they sit in a warehouse or 40 foot trailer not being sold. There was no profit in this at all. Now days, companies make what is selling and making profit. This is not selling out, but staying in business
Not quite true. Here is a big difference between Ruger and Colt. Ruger has always been a very fiscally responsible company who has always had minimal debt at best (dont want to say no or never). Compare that to Colt who as a couple have mentioned in this thread, who has been teetering on the brink financially constantly for quite a while. So, while Ruger might warehouse a gun for a couple years, that does not mean there is no profit, its an asset in inventory and really just ties up cash (yes, I know we can talk E&O reserves, etc.). So Ruger making a gun and letting it sit in a warehouse does not mean no profit, it just ties up cash and defers the recognition of the revenue and profit associated with the sale of inventory. OK, I will shut up now. Im sure you are all bored if you made it this far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can understand them cutting out building the AR for financial reasons. Profit margins have to be low due to all of the competition. Every one and everyone's brother is making them. As far as I am concerned Colt is an old and respected firearm manufacturer. But, you have to admit that the timing of the announcement is curious at best. I would really like to know the circumstances behind the timing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Glad to see any good quality gunmaker or decent company stay in business if willing to improve value etc., historical Colt co. too, plus S&W. Every company needs to make business decisions, some are good ideas and some are not.

This one may be a sound business decision on their part, honestly don't know.

Have owned 2 Colts & 3 S&Ws in my lifetime but in truth, these brands have never been extraordinary favorites for my needs. My opinion of course.

·
Retired
167 Posts
Well, i'll just say, the bonuses are bigger than they were when we were putting them in the warehouses and trailers and there isn't half as much in the warehouse

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
The media have been putting an anti-gun (or at least anti-private-gun-ownership) “spin” on this story, when it appears to have been a purely business decision. As others have already said, Colt is facing a ton of competition in the “AR-15” market and they aren’t the most popular brand any more.

Jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own one Colt, it is a Woodsman, I inherited it, and will never sell it. That being said, I have never owned any Colt revolvers (sorry, but S&W makes revolvers, among others) and only owned one Colt 1912, ( which I wish I had back) and NO Colt rifles! Now I never will. Sorry, but this feels like a sellout!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
The first gun I ever bought was a used Delta Elite, that was almost 30 years ago. Like an idiot I sold it. If anything I sold Colt out & have been kicking myself ever since. The last thing we need is a division amongst ourselves other than the ever popular steel vs polymer debate. To think Colt’s decision was based on the current political climate is preposterous & only gives in to the anti gunners rhetoric. Maybe one day I’ll own another Colt but for right now I’m happy with my Ruger’s, & other offerings I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
It seems that over the years Colt has gotten into the bad position of there being nothing that they make that someone else makes better and cheaper. Not a formula for success.
Norm

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Colt builds rifles to mil-spec standards in order to comply with their government contract. Things like individual barrel testing vs batch testing costs money. It doesn't mean the barrels are any better or worse but when you have to test all of them rather than 1/100 that costs time, labor and money. FN has the same problem. Colt and FN are the two most expensive DI rifles on the market for the same reason. Their manufacturing process is more expensive than other brands. It's just that simple.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Colt (or FN). They make more money on the rifles they sell around the world to military and government agencies than they do selling to civilians. If the civilian sector was more profitable they'd tell the governments to pound sand and focus their efforts on selling rifles to us. They've chosen which market which yields the best return on their investment. Can't blame them for that.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,163 Posts
This troll thread is now closed!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.