Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next carry gun may well be a 1911. I'm leaning towards a commander length. The gun would be an 'all around' .45, and it would be as much of a range gun as a carry gun.

Probably looking at $800 max, and would certainly not mind something less expensive than that.

Opinions on brands/models?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2, but it is Officers Model size. I am happy with it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kimbers are nice indeed. Dad's got a government length Stainless II (when I'm not borrowing it), and I really like it. I know trying to combine a range gun, and carry gun has it's trade offs. Most purely carry guns don't lend themselves well to extended target/range use, and most target guns don't carry well.

I'm thinking a commander length 'might' bridge the gap, but I'm not sure if it'd be too much of a compromise in either category.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well Mr Tweek I have a S&W 1911 .45cal SC-PD Commander. I paid $710+tax for it. I love it and it has never failed to fire. It's had one box of factory ammo run through it and the rest are my reloads.
I kept track of the rounds up to 1,000 and quit. The wife has a Government model all SS S&W and it's the same. Here's mine.
:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the Kimber compact custom. It is kind of a cross between the commander and officer's model. It works great for concealed carry or the range. Wish I had gotten the full size though. They conceal just as easily and I prefer the longer sight radius.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have everal full size 1911's they are great conceal carry weapons.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My bud bought himself the same model I carried for years two Christmases ago...Colt Combat Commander Satin Nickel...it was used but like new in box...$500 out the door...they're still around...if you're lefty, an ambi safety would be nice...they carry well, shoot great, and if you run out of ammo, you can beat 'em to death...heavy duty pistola!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No southpaw here. Handled a Kimber commander size in the local gun shop the other day, felt real nice - 'just right'. Night sights, kind of a greenish frame with a black slide. Nice gun, but priced just over 1K. Bit much for me.

Thanks for the replies all.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Kimber's real proud of their stuff-I know it's quality, but I'd rather have another KP90DC....for 1911, I'd probably go with Kimber or Colt first...but that's a lot of ammo $$$...work harder, save more, getcha a Springfield or Ed Brown...why not have one Cadillac in the garage?!!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tweek

No southpaw here. Handled a Kimber commander size in the local gun shop the other day, felt real nice - 'just right'. Night sights, kind of a greenish frame with a black slide. Nice gun, but priced just over 1K. Bit much for me.

Thanks for the replies all.
You probably can get a used one in your price range. Check out gunbroker and other online auction sites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts