Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone (preferable Ruger) Make a nice compact affordable 9 mm revolver? I want a nice/reliable revolver for concealed carry but don't want to invest in new ammo. I'm trying to stick with .22 and 9mm guns.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Taurus makes a 5-shot 9mm revolver, the Model 905. I don't know much more than that it exists. I've seen some pretty negative reviews concerning its workmanship.

Charter Arms has been 'announcing' their new 6-shot 9mm Pitbull for about three years, but I've yet to see one. It doesn't need moon clips and can also shoot .380. I can't imagine why anyone would want to, except maybe in an emergency where 9mm is completely unavailable.

Or you could just stay Ruger and look for a 9mm SP-101 or an old Security/Service/Speed-Six (what I have). They're rare and expensive, but I think they're worth it in quality.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you are interested there is a nice speciman right now on gunbroker.com but the price is somewhat high. At one time Ruger also made 6 shot Speed Six revolves in 9mm that turn up from time to time.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
If you can find a Sp101, or Speed Six good luck! I have a Taurus Model 605 and it's been great! Never had any problems. I have had a Ruger SP 101 great gun as well. The other day while at the local gun shop there sat a NIB Taurus Model 905 it was priced between $350- to under $400.00 personally I wouldn't be afraid to buy it! But if so buy some good after market moon clips! That is the negative that I have heard! Can't recall his name but there is a Ruger Forum member who has the Taurus 905 & he like's it alot! My 605 serves me just fine with .38 specials +p"s so I don't really need a 9mm revolver. But I can see where one would be nice to have! I have still seen alot of .357/38 special ,9mm,.45acp,.380,& .40 S&W out the. But no .22LR or .223, alot of .22WMR & .17 hmr. You might be able to also get a nice revolver in .22WMR like the new Ruger LCR in .22 magnum! Just some suggestions good luck!'

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why aren't there more 9mm revolvers out there? I personally like the 9mm and don't understand what prevents manufacturers from producing more revolvers in that caliber. Thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kind of a limited niche gun, almost identical ballistics to hot .38 spc. rounds .001 difference in diameter. No moon clips for a 38. I would not be afraid to buy a Taurus revolver, I own three. Only one had to be sent back for adj. no charge for repair, no further problems.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Why aren't there more 9mm revolvers out there? I personally like the 9mm and don't understand what prevents manufacturers from producing more revolvers in that caliber. Thanks for educating me.
Low sales is the answer. If the 9mm SP101 had sold in greater quantities I'm sure Ruger would still produce them.

I picked up a 2" and a 3" 9MM SP101 about a year and a half ago and paid a premium for them but compared to prices today I don't feel so bad. I love both of them and really like moon clips which are not a hassle at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Charter Arms 9mm revolver is out there, saw one in LGS about 2 months ago. Wasn't there the next time I visited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the Taurus/Charter/Rossi revolvers are hit and miss. You either get one that is bullet proof or a pile.

Back to the subject a buddy had the Taurus 380 revo and the fit and finish was superb. Dare I say better than my Rugers. But the trigger was awful. Probably 18 pounds and Im not exaggerating.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It's funny, on every gun forum from here to the S&W forum people are screaming for a 9mm revolver, but both Ruger and Smith have made them and sales were slow:) I think it's mostly us gun fans who want them, the average Joe whos buying a revolver is happy with a .38 or .357 for carry or defense.

I almost bought a Taurus 9mm snub but something told me not to, I had it in hand at a gun shop but passed on it. As much as I love revolvers chambered for auto cartridges I didn't think I would shoot it much or carry it.....

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Nothing wrong with Taurus revolvers. They have come a long way in quality control. I have a couple of Taurus guns; one a revolver (.38 Spl.) and the other a pistol (.380). No problems at all with either.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ruger made the Six and the SP 101 in 9 mm. Could the LCR be next? I hope, I hope!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ruger made the Six and the SP 101 in 9 mm. Could the LCR be next? I hope, I hope!!
I also hope... but Im not holding my breath. Ruger found out(as did S&W)that a 9mm revolver just doesnt sell very well. I have a thread over at The High Road about why 9mm revolvers arent popular, and you would be amazed at how many people simply think moon clips are worse than vampires... I just dont get it. They complain that they are hard to load, hard to unload, that 38 & 357s dont need them, they get bent in your pocket... on and on and on... I just dont understand what the big deal is... I am a 9mm fan, and I love my 9mm snubby.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think a 9mm in the same size as the new 380 Taurus would sell. You get better velocity from a 9mm 2 inch than the same revolver in 38 Special. No need for thew longer 38 Special cylinder.

There are problems with the 9mm revolver. Look at the S&W revolvers in 9mm. You will notice the hammer on the 9mm K frame is different. It is shorter as the hammer sometimes comes back upon firing. Also, some 9mm ammo will tie up the cylinder. Seems to be due to the tapered case. Charter Arms came out with the Pitbull 9mm Federal cartridge with a rim due to this problem.

Frankly, I would like to see the Pitbull 9mm Federal cartridge come back in a S&W M32 sized gun. Would be a perfect pocket gun. Also a concealed hammer version.

Edit: make that a redesigned 9mm Federal that wont fit in 38 S&W chambers.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think a 9mm in the same size as the new 380 Taurus would sell. You get better velocity from a 9mm 2 inch than the same revolver in 38 Special. No need for thew longer 38 Special cylinder.

There are problems with the 9mm revolver. Look at the S&W revolvers in 9mm. You will notice the hammer on the 9mm K frame is different. It is shorter as the hammer sometimes comes back upon firing. Also, some 9mm ammo will tie up the cylinder. Seems to be due to the tapered case. Charter Arms came out with the Pitbull 9mm cartridge with a rim due to this problem.

Frankly, I would like to see the Pitbull 9mm cartridge come back in a S&W M32 sized gun. Would be a perfect pocket gun. Also a concealed hammer version.
The Charter Arms with the rimmed 9mm cartridge is an older model and out of production. The cartridge was called 9mm Federal. The new 9mm Pitbull uses the rimless cartridge.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There are problems with the 9mm revolver. Look at the S&W revolvers in 9mm. You will notice the hammer on the 9mm K frame is different. It is shorter as the hammer sometimes comes back upon firing. Also, some 9mm ammo will tie up the cylinder. Seems to be due to the tapered case.
Thats funny you would say that, because in the 1,100 rounds I now have through my 905, I have experienced ZERO issues. I certainly dont see any problems...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts