Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compact Letts-type grip on Super Redhawk 9.5". Crazy, but it's great!

Shot 300 Specials with it yesterday. Perhaps I would miss the full size with Magnums, but the revolver is so heavy Magnums have not been bad in the past.

I have average size hands, and use a high hold, such that my pinky is comfortably on the grip, but hammer does touch at times.

Previously, this SRH had Hogue Tamers, and then full-size Letts. I like the compact Letts best by far. I can get a very solid hold, better than the other grips.

Sorry for the terrible pic, but it gives the proportions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't matter what grip you put on that baby it is not going to look balanced. Just not going to happen with the 9 1/2" barrel. Main objective should be to find a grip that feels good and you like. Looks like you have accomplished that. Back in the 90's I had the exact same gun. Uncle Mikes offered a small finger grooved combat style grip. It was two piece and screwed together like a normal grip. Probably even smaller than the Lett. It fit my hand perfect and was fantastic. If I could find one of those grips I swear I'd buy a SRH to put it on. They are great revolvers.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Whatever works for you is all that matters. I love shooting 44 Magnums in my Alaskan that wears a wood Badger boot grip. Works for me.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have a set of the compact grips for my GP100 and like them a lot.

They do look a bit comical on that hand cannon though if they fit your hand then they are perfect!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have Lett compacts on one of my 6" GP100's, which also wears a spurless hammer..........people say it doesn't "look right" but I don't care, it's the grip that works for it and it shoots great.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
If the compact Letts work better for you, that's the grip you should be using. By the way the grips look fine. There's not a grip on earth that will make the 9.5" barrel look "balanced".

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I really like the Compact grips. But, I really didn't think I would like them on my 6" GP100. I should have tried. Now I will.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I have the compact Lett's on my SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull...I prefer the smaller Lett grip as it fits my smaller sized hands better! I don't mind the recoil so why not?

I have a set on my 4" fixed-sight GP100 (see Avatar) and I already have a set set-aside for when I'm able to get a 5" GP100!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

This is a GP I used to have, I still own another blue 6" full lug with compact Letts and Chigs inserts.
They let me get a good high grip on the gun, and they fill my hand, besides looking good on the gun.

Large Letts look more "balanced" on an adjustable sight GP100 but the bottom 1/2" or so is wasted for me anyway since it sticks out below my hand.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a GP I used to have, I still own another blue 6" full lug with compact Letts and Chigs inserts.
They let me get a good high grip on the gun, and they fill my hand, besides looking good on the gun.

Large Letts look more "balanced" on an adjustable sight GP100 but the bottom 1/2" or so is wasted for me anyway since it sticks out below my hand.
I have "enough" 357's but am constantly tempted to get a full lug 6" GP just to copy what you have done.

Chigs made excellent panels for another Ruger of mine. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
This is what I have now, 6" GP with the Ruger brass bead/V-notch "Express" sights, DAO hammer and Wilson springs, and of course the compact Letts with Chigs Redheart inserts.

I call it "Old School Tacti-cool" :)

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's guns like this that made me decide I had no use for semi-autos:)
Exactly. I sold all but one of my semi-autos, and only kept the one because I sunk so much more into it than its market value. (Although I admit there are a few steel framed semi-autos would like to have...)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
My CZ75 .40 is on the chopping block, as is my semi-auto MAC10, I just never use these things......all my defensive, "fun" and informal "match" guns are wheel guns, I just don't have as much fun with the slide guns. I guess they never really "grabbed" me despite using many auto loading firearms throughout my time as an armed guard and later in the Army, but they were all just "tools".

I'll keep my P89 , P90 and P94, but mainly just to have examples of the legendary P-series, I hardly shoot those either.

I always thought 6 hot .357's trumps a mag full of 9mm's anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts