Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And you can throw in CharterArms if you like... the idea came from a different thread I had followed looking for a home/cc weapon for my wife... probably would never be carried. she's not a gun girl so thought revolver made sense. I like 357 being able to shoot 38. Can I get some feedback on these guns, and I really liked the look of the Taurus so I'm kind of wondering if the reliable nature of a revolver leaves any reason for paying extra? Pardon, if it seems like I'm putting a price on the wife's life. bh

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Unlike the 637 and 605, the Ruger has no exposed hammer.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I shoot and carry J frame Smiths. If she's not going to carry and you want 357 capability, I'd opt for a Model 60, instead of the 637. It's an all steel gun close in weight to a Ruger SP101. That extra weight would make it more comfy and easier to shoot than an AirWeight Smith, even with 38s.

One thing, though. All of these small revolvers require plenty of practice to shoot, effectively, even with 38s. These are carry guns, first, and shooters, second. If she's not inclined to shoot much, I'd get her a bigger revolver like a GP or a K or L frame Smith. Be easier for her to shoot.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I shoot and carry J frame Smiths. If she's not going to carry and you want 357 capability, I'd opt for a Model 60, instead of the 637. It's an all steel gun close in weight to a Ruger SP101. That extra weight would make it more comfy and easier to shoot than an AirWeight Smith, even with 38s.

One thing, though. All of these small revolvers require plenty of practice to shoot, effectively, even with 38s. These are carry guns, first, and shooters, second. If she's not inclined to shoot much, I'd get her a bigger revolver like a GP or a K or L frame Smith. Be easier for her to shoot.
+1 on this.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Consider a Ruger SP101 these are a great CCW gun. Also both the Taurus 605 & .357 LCR are also good. The S&W 637 very popular but only in .38 Special. You want to save some weight then move to a Ruger LCR/LCRX .38 Spec. +p only 13.5 oz the LCRX .38 Spec & .22Mag LCR are my two main CCW guns. I do not feel under gunned with either. The lighter weight really helps packing all day long. My personal favorite is the LCRX giving me the exposed hammer if needed. One very important thing to consider this will make all the difference in the world is ammo selection +p or standard pressure. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
looking for a home/cc weapon for my wife... probably would never be carried. she's not a gun girl so thought revolver made sense.
The "never carried" part is important. A 3-4 inch GP100, SP101 or Smith model 60 would be what I'd show her first. Perhaps a 3" LCRx if it ever becomes an occasional option for CC down the road. If she can try each as a rental, even better. There is really no advantage to go with a 2", lightweight gun in a HD application.

Getting her involved is key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts