Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wife and I stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse store in Southaven, MS this past Saturday afternoon. She wanted to check on some outdoor type clothes and I wanted to check on the supply of ammo and reloading supplies (not that I needed anything, but wanted to just see what they had in stock.). This was the first time she or myself had been to the store since mid-March.
In any case, she found what she was looking for. For myself, the inventory was darned slim (I won't need anything for quite sometime.)
Common centerfire ammunition like .223, 9mm, 7.62x39, .40 auto, or .45 ACP was gone. Likewise for ammo for most every other handgun caliber.
Primers - good supply as long as all you wanted was shotgun or large rifle. Minimal large pistol. NO small rifle or small pistol. ZERO!!
Powder - they had maybe 8 - 10 pounds of unpopular powder.
Bullets - minimal supply of unpopular weights and calibers.
Brass - same story, had some, but you could forget about any self-defense calibers.
I didn't even check on any rimfire stuff - my cupboard is stocked.
I sure am glad I stocked up after the primer scares of the Clinton years and NEVER let my stock dip below my comfort level again!
I shop in this store on a regular basis and I haven't seen the shelves this bare since Barry took office! Kind'a scary to see that again.
Is this the story everywhere?

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pretty much the same thing around here in Southwestern Ohio (Cabelas, Bass Pro, and other places I've checked). Availability of ammo at local ranges and gun stores is sporadic, usually out of popular calibers. The usual on-line suppliers of components can't keep up with the demand, and are kinda day-to-day. I'm still in good shape for reloading right now, but I'm hoping to find some primers at the next gun show (August).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Skyhunter308 : Same problem here in W.V with Sportsman Warehouse . Hardly any primers ; powder and bullets . I ask them when there getting a shipment in and they more or less tell me your guess is good as ours . I still check in once a week for item's but to no avail . I'll just keep trying .

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My LGS is still pretty well stocked. Most popular powders on hand. Primers pretty good. If you want small rifle or pistol, you are stuck with federal. Good primers, but I hate the packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Fortunately the place I shop is called Graf Reloading........a relative of Graf & Son. About the only thing they’re low on is 9mm bullets. I don’t shoot the 9 so it hasn’t effected me at all.

·
Registered
917 Posts
In southern New Jersey the local gun shops send you across the river to either Pennsylvania or Delaware for your reloading supplies. I had trouble getting primers back in November ,my post was No CCI primers available. My other thread How were shortages during the Obama years got some strong comments, I was accused of starting a panic. I only travel to Philadelphia gun shop to pick up powder and primers. It took me until mid March to get small pistol primers (store owner failed to order enough supplies). The following week the coronavirus panic started along with the shutdown. My daily internet exercises check supplies online and everyone has shortages and out of stocks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I found a couple places that had 1 type of primer out of 5 that I'm looking for, with a 1 x limit per day. So you're paying as much for 1 box of 1000 primers as you are for all the hazmat and shipping... I'm not paying $70 plus dollars for one box of primers. lol

I also find it amusing/infuriating that some bullet companies will have multiple 3500 per case in stock and their 100rds and 500rds in stock, but not their 1000 rounds in stock.

I'm late to reloading, but when or if we get out of this shortage, Never Again!!

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
To the Ohio members. I happen to stop by Fin Feather Fur in Ashland a couple weeks ago. I was looking for some Varget powder and 10mm bullets. They were low or out of some items. However, I walked out with two pounds of Varget and one box of 180 g FMJFN Hornady bullets. I’d at least give them a call if your passing by. I don’t think they do mail order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts