Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With bike season quickly approaching in my area, I'm always looking for ideas for conceal carry on the bike in the summer. The hard part is on hot days, only wearing a t-shirt, it's hard to conceal.
I normally carry either an XDS 45 or a LC9s in an IWB. But I'm thinking about getting a kydex OWB and using a longer t-shirt to cover it.
I also have an LCP that I carry in a pocket holster in cargo shorts, but I don't wear shorts on the bike.

What are all you doing for conceal carry during the hot months when there is no jacket to hide everything?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I generally just ride with a firearm IWB at 1:00. I have been known to put one in my vest, but that is difficult to access most of the time.

I'd be interested to hear of some new ideas...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I go with the mechanics button up shirts that Harley sales, they are baggy enough that I have no problem keeping a full size Glock covered and the tails are long enough that if it starts to ride up as the speed increases you can just pull it down under your butt.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I had my FatBoy I always wanted some leather between me and the ground so it was IWB or leather concealed carry vest. Also had the chrome Harley toolbox that my EDC fit in nicely if I needed to lock it up.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've gone in and out of the motorcycle thing throughout my life and I'm currently in one of my "no motorcycle" phases but I have a lot of experience with motorcycles.

1. Riding in just a tee-shirt and blue jeans was never my thing. I didn't always wear a lot of gear but I consider a riding jacket every bit as important as a helmet. In the summer I would wear a mesh riding jacket and in colder weather (yes I rode in the winter) I would use heavy riding jacket.
2. Being able to access a gun while on the bike wasn't as important to me as having the gun when I was not on the bike.

So, a few things come to light.
Pocket carry is my normal mode of carry but a gun in your front pocket is all but inaccessible while on the bike. I could live with that but it wasn't very comfortable. My compromise was to carry the gun in a zippered pocket of my riding jacket and transfer it to my pocket when I got off the bike.

If I used an OWB hi-ride holster, the riding jacket would conceal the gun well even when on the bike. That required I keep the jacket on when not riding OR bring a second garment to cover the holster when I got off the bike. That was generally my solution on longer rides.

I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters but that would be an option under a jacket. Again, still need to conceal the gun when not on the bike.
I did think about sewing a holster inside my jacket but then you must keep constant control of the jacket when you get off the bike or transfer the gun to your other mode of carry. I simply decided that a pocket in the riding jacket was just a good for holding the gun while I was on the bike as a dedicated holster sewn to the jacket.

While we're talking motorcycles and guns, plan on your gun getting wet ! There is a strong argument for stainless steel, polymer frames and other weather resistant materials for a gun carried on a bike.
Also, never leave a gun on a bike, even concealed. Your gun goes where you go, period!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I carried a 44 mag 5 1/2" Redhawk in the summer shoulder holstered under a tall mans shirt unbuttoned with my leather jacket over it. In the fall before the snow it was the 7 1/2" 44 Redhawk same shirt plus hunting camo warmth on first. Just keep the 1200cc Suzy under 100mph.

Had a car full of middle age guys going home from the bar one night when one said he was going to slap me and take my bike. With the 44mag Redhawk loaded and two speed loaders I kept my cool and laughed. It's better to avoid trouble. Unless threatened with physical harm.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I don't worry about. I let the wind blow my shirt where ever it wants to go. It gets me looks, but it also gets me a lot of space.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The cargo pants always worked for me in the hot weather. Usually keep my laser equipped S&W Bodyguard .380 in the cargo pocket. Works best for me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ccw holster while riding.

Hello everyone , I am new to this forum. I carry my xds .45 3.3 in a desantes OWB speed scabbard leather holster #086-88 in the 1:00 or " appendix position . It is designed for the xd 9mm sub comp, but works well with my xd and xds. I usually wear an XL tee in black , the color seems to hide printing better. .I will also wear my leather vest , its a thin leather with a chain from snap to snap . it makes for great air flow when moving. I even carry my kimber ultra carry .45 in the same style rig. the speed scabbard keeps the end of the barrel rite at the bottom of the belt riding the fire arm a little high than most . but for a compact I find them very concealable. hope this helps . ride safe .:D
Brad.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brad!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Though I wear a mesh jacket in summer I just got a small tank bag that I'm going to try. I carried an LCR in my front right pocket (left handed) but my SIG P250 fits in the tank bag.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I carry my Sig P238 either in my jeans are more often in my Joe Rocket mesh jacket front pocket. I use a Galco leather pocket holster.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I CCW on my Fat Boy all the time. I always wear either a vest (which has a CCW pocket) or my jacket, ditto.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Something I've been considering are those little doohickies they sell at various motorcycle shows that are used as a stirrup under your pants cuff to prevent your pants from riding up on the bike. They usually have these little spring clamps which grip your cuff. For carry, I would clip one the bottom of my shirt, pass the clip thru a belt loop or around my belt, then clip back to my shirt. Presumably the clip will accomplish the same purpose in not allowing my shirt to ride up.

·
Registered
425 Posts
1. Riding in just a tee-shirt and blue jeans was never my thing. I didn't always wear a lot of gear but I consider a riding jacket every bit as important as a helmet. In the summer I would wear a mesh riding jacket and in colder weather (yes I rode in the winter) I would use heavy riding jacket.
2. Being able to access a gun while on the bike wasn't as important to me as having the gun when I was not on the bike.

So, a few things come to light.
Pocket carry is my normal mode of carry but a gun in your front pocket is all but inaccessible while on the bike. I could live with that but it wasn't very comfortable. My compromise was to carry the gun in a zippered pocket of my riding jacket and transfer it to my pocket when I got off the bike.

While we're talking motorcycles and guns, plan on your gun getting wet ! There is a strong argument for stainless steel, polymer frames and other weather resistant materials for a gun carried on a bike.
Also, never leave a gun on a bike, even concealed. Your gun goes where you go, period!
*This*
I agree. ATGATT.
This is the first year I've been blessed by the state, so I'm wrestling with this same issue. I wear a mesh jacket, so I'll try the alien gear iwb at the 4 o'clock position. Also have a vest, but don't wear it while riding.
Shiny side up my peeps

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
I gotta chime in with my basic riding gear speech. ATGATT gives you the best chance of enjoying your love of motorcycle riding for the long term of your life. The gear gives you confidence that you are taking as much of the risk as you possibly can out of a very risky activity. And taking it one step further with the subject of concealed carry - you're carrying a gun for the same reason you wear a seatbelt in a car. Why protect yourself from crime that probably won't happen, but you're not protecting your skin from the very real possibility that another driver will cause a crash that you're involved in? I just don't see where the possible need to shoot somebody while riding a motorcycle outweighs the need for proper riding gear that will protect you in a more likely scenario such as a crash. It's not "too hot" to gear up. You can either sweat or you can bleed. You can either be hot while riding, or be uncomfortable and in excruciating pain with lasting effects from road rash for a very long time. And actually, a properly vented riding jacket in fact keeps you cooler than a t-shirt does while traveling in open air down the road with the sun beating down on you. Wear your gear and conceal your gun very easily. This is a ridiculous problem that is easily solved.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
ATGATT is one opinion, but it isn't the only opinion. It's a good thing we live where freedoms give everyone the ability to choose what they want to do and what they want to wear. It's a shame that some feel the need to force their opinion on others on this subject but yet they get so offended when their right to carry a firearm could be threatened...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts