Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just took my CCW a couple months ago in central IL. There was no time frame mentioned during my class. They do have you shoot at 3 different distances, 10 shots at each. We had a practice shoot the first day and the qualifying shoot the second day. I did much better on the practice shoot, I shot quickly. Then took my time on the qualifying shoot, too much time. I've shot quite a bit since I took the class and always do much better if I shoot as soon as I get on target. Be ware there is a 3 to 4 month wait to get the permit after you send in the paper work.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
When I lived in MS I took the enhanced carry class which had a 50 shot course of fire at 3 and 7 yards. The hard part was you had to 10 shots at 3 and 7 with the weak hand. I had never really done that before so it was different. Once you get the sight line it’s not bad. I am a both eyes open shooter which probably helped some. Some folks would try using the setting side eye and had to work to adjust.

It was actually a great class. I took it since I lived a block from the university and it was 5 miles to drive around if I was carrying. Once I had the enchanted carry I could just motor through.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A good friend took a certified class in IL just last year. He said it was pretty much a joke. Kind of pay your fee and you'll pass. His Niece barely knew which end to hold and shot a Ruger Standard that probably hadn't been cleaned since it was bought. It malfunctioned every other round and the "Instructor" cleared it for her. The Range was 21 feet. 10 shots.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A good friend took a certified class in IL just last year. He said it was pretty much a joke. Kind of pay your fee and you'll pass. His Niece barely knew which end to hold and shot a Ruger Standard that probably hadn't been cleaned since it was bought. It malfunctioned every other round and the "Instructor" cleared it for her. The Range was 21 feet. 10 shots.
I would say that is not the place to go...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Interesting, I would almost expect a state like Illinois to have requirements so strict it would be almost impossible to pass to try to discourage concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,785 Posts
Used to be a joke in Virginia, when I qualified: shoot paper at 20 or so feet. The instructors helped the clueless until they got enough hits. I hope that has changed since the early 2000s when I first got my license.

I'd like to make all CCW folk holster qualify with the gun they plan to carry and the holster they'll use. A gun is nothing but a liability unless you can quickly and effectively bring it to bear on a foe.

My range is much better than the stupid one where I took my class. You cannot draw from a holster until you pay $40 for a holster qual class.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Over breakfast this morning my wife proclaimed that we were going shooting today (dont have to twist my arm) upon arriving she saw a sig p320. She just had to try it. She has never shot better and I dont think ive ever seen her have as much fun either.

Needless to say we ordered one on our way out.

She is definitely more excited for our upcoming course.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
In Colorado there is firing but no time limits and the test I took it was 2-3 shots. Draw, fire 2 rounds at target, check for threat then holster. No penalty for not hitting the target as some in my group didn't, even from 5-7 paces.

·
Registered
776 Posts
In Colorado there is firing but no time limits and the test I took it was 2-3 shots. Draw, fire 2 rounds at target, check for threat then holster. No penalty for not hitting the target as some in my group didn't, even from 5-7 paces.
Have things changed? To the best of my knowledge, CO has no range time requirement. NRA course/instructors do, though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Indiana is "Shall the issue" and don't require shooting qualification. Fill out the paperwork, get finger printed, pay your money and receive a lifetime Conceal carry license for about $125..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my CCW licenses in two states Ohio and North Carolina. I shot more rounds in Ohio, but there was no time limits. In North Carolina, because I am a veteran my DD214 got me out of having to shoot.

I suggest you find your states CCW requirements and take her to the range and let her practice. When she is able to exceed minimum requirements, she will have gained the confidence she needs to pass the shooting requirements with ease. If there is no caliber requirement, get her a 22 lr pistol. That would make it easier for her.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Texas concealed carry shooting test:

50 rounds must be fired during qualification.
A score of 70%, or 175 points of a possible 250, is required to pass.
Target used is a B-27 human-shaped silhouette target measuring 45 by 24 inches. All shooting is from the ready position.

3 yard line – 20 shots:

7 yard line – 20 shots:

15 yard line – 10 shots:

I've heard all the arguments for unregulated constitutional carry, no licensing etc.
Having witnessed an individual landing shots literally all over the target area, and knowing that this level of performance
would be extremely dangerous in a live fire situation, I am a believer in at least demonstrating proficiency.
Anything inside the 8 ring is 5 points, 7 ring is 4 and any other silhouette hit is 3 points. Possible 200 points and 3 and 7 yards. If you can't make that I don't want to be around you when the shooting starts! I shot 248 of 250 with a mil spec 1911 in the rain. 3 and 7 yards were all inside the 9 ring.

·
Registered
947 Posts
CA’s is also surprisingly easy, although actual shooting is required.
It’s not timed but I wouldn’t want to be the one who’s holding up the class.
Years ago, when I got my first CCW (in SoCal) the sheriff required 5 shots, reload, and five more shots. The class had to hold up while the Range Deputy showed an older lady how to reload her revolver.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
My class here in Oregon was about 50% laws and 50% safety. I think it also depends on the instructor. Mine was my LGS owner and we are already friends when I took the class. He tries to make it fun for all involved. The class was advertised for 4 hours but was 3.5 hours with one break thrown in. The best students, for lack of a better term, were the women. They ate up all the knowledge they were given and then some.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a conversation with a friend of mine a couple years ago regarding getting his permit to carry. He is a Veteran and really wanted to take the class. My advice to him was to spend 500 to 1000 dollars to speak to the best local lawyer he could find with a list of questions before you take the class. He of course thought I was crazy.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I had a conversation with a friend of mine a couple years ago regarding getting his permit to carry. He is a Veteran and really wanted to take the class. My advice to him was to spend 500 to 1000 dollars to speak to the best local lawyer he could find with a list of questions before you take the class. He of course thought I was crazy.

But you aren't.

What is the puppy's name in the meme?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Over breakfast this morning my wife proclaimed that we were going shooting today (dont have to twist my arm) upon arriving she saw a sig p320. She just had to try it. She has never shot better and I dont think ive ever seen her have as much fun either.

Needless to say we ordered one on our way out.

She is definitely more excited for our upcoming course.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
My wife loves her P320C. Broke her heart when we had to send it back to Sig. That was a long 4 weeks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently got back into shooting after not shooting at all for a couple of years. It took me a while to get back in the groove, I would say around 1000 rounds and hours of snapping in. That's when I started to relax again and THEN began to really practice. Shooting is not easy and it takes a lot of practice to be effective. I shoot mainly 45 auto, 9mm and 357.

With that said I could not imagine taking one of these classes If I had never ever handled or fired a handgun, and walk out after the class feeling confident about my skills. That is just ME and hats off to the instructors of these classes, I'm sure your extremely professional and knowledgeable.

Another friend of mine recently purchased a XDM 9mm, he's a Veteran but doesn't shoot. He wants to take the class and I told him to practice, learn as much as you can and shoot at least 1500 rounds before you take the class. He of course thought I was crazy.

I think some states if your a Veteran you don't even have to shoot to get the permit. I may be wrong.

Anyway, be safe everyone!!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts