Ruger Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
News account indicates that the civilian picked up the shooter’s AR after shooting the bad guy with a handgun. The shooter had retrieved the rifle from his car after fatally shooting a police officer with a shotgun.

Seeing an unknown person holding an AR, the responding LEO did the logical thing, sadly.
If I have learned anything from watching Perry Mason, it's to never pick up a firearm that lying on the ground.

I wasn't there and I dunno exactly what happened, but honestly,
there would be no reason for the guy to pick up that rifle.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
News account indicates that the civilian picked up the shooter’s AR after shooting the bad guy with a handgun. The shooter had retrieved the rifle from his car after fatally shooting a police officer with a shotgun.

Seeing an unknown person holding an AR, the responding LEO did the logical thing, sadly.
If that is truly what happened, that was mistake. Push it well out of reach, but don't pick it up since the threat was down.

Brave man. Sad situation.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If I have learned anything from watching Perry Mason, it's to never pick up a firearm that lying on the ground.

I wasn't there and I dunno exactly what happened, but honestly,
there would be no reason for the guy to pick up that rifle.
Could he have grabbed the rifle thinking the bad guy wasn't dead and didn't want him to shoot anymore?

Monday morning quarterbacking we can say he should have kicked the rifle away from the bad guy to prevent trigger happy responders from mowing him down, but with adrenaline pumping, the good guy probably didn't think that would happen.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bad things can happen to good people in the heat of battle . I'm no hero but I couldn't live with myself if I could have saved someone and done nothing . That good person could have been a member of our family the bad guy was going to shoot , stab or hit with a bat. To turn away or film with the means to prevent is criminal. I'll have your back , hopefully you'll have mine.
Chris

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cops are poorly trained and their job is to hunt for people to extort, imprison like animals or murder outright. Yes, police should be held to a much higher standard and they SHOULD put their lives at risk over shooting a person. All cops are bad because it's their job to be. Don't apologise for a murder. Any one of us would get decades in prison for the SAME action. If it is a crime for a citizen to do, it should be a crime for a government employee.
Well you have it all figured out. Maybe you should start writing training manuals? Maybe pin a badge on and go out their and help reform these murderers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Cops are poorly trained and their job is to hunt for people to extort, imprison like animals or murder outright. Yes, police should be held to a much higher standard and they SHOULD put their lives at risk over shooting a person. All cops are bad because it's their job to be. Don't apologise for a murder. Any one of us would get decades in prison for the SAME action. If it is a crime for a citizen to do, it should be a crime for a government employee.
Horse-hockey.

I get a.kick out of all the people banging on the police like they have all the answers. Why don't all the whiners and complainers join the police force to show us all how you could reform it if it's so easy.

What a pathetic weak-minded citizenry we have. The media over magnifies only one narrative the white cop and unarmed black man. Check your stats, in 2019, 9 unarmed black men were killed and 25 white men were killed. What are some of those crackers names? Right, we don't know them because it doesn't fit the media narrative especially if a black cop shot a white perp.

Oh, by the way just because they are unarmed doesn't mean they aren't dangerous to society or the officer(s) on the scene.

156,000 encounters PER DAY in the US and the media only reports the worse incidents between the police and the citizens. Never mind all the countless number of times the police save the ungrateful citizen.

DEFUND THE CITIZENS

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
726 Posts
Could he have grabbed the rifle thinking the bad guy wasn't dead and didn't want him to shoot anymore?

Monday morning quarterbacking we can say he should have kicked the rifle away from the bad guy to prevent trigger happy responders from mowing him down, but with adrenaline pumping, the good guy probably didn't think that would happen.
I agree about hindsight being 20/20.
The guy did what he did, but seeing him with the rifle is what probably got him shot.
I wasn't really blaming the guy and I'm not blaming the cop either. I wasn't there.
I only know what what I read.

I had this discussion with my wife (who also carries), if I have to use my gun in public,
I might put it in my CC holster, but I'm probably putting it on the ground when I hear the cops coming.

But,
If you have ever watched the original Perry Mason series....
he who picketh up the gun (at the scene of the crime), gets charged with committing the murder.....
cause their fingerprints are now all over that gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bad things can happen in chaotic stressful situations.

You can do everything right and still end up dead or in legal trouble. Be reticent to expose your firearm and expect to be treated like an armed criminal when uniformed officers arrive on scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts