Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so happy to say that my employer, the co owner of dealership, is happy that he has several responsibly armed employees. Great place to work!

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
My employer, in defiance of the State Constitution and a recent State Supreme Court decision, bars firearms from their property. So, as a law-abiding citizen and employee, I carry concealed and don't tell them about it.

Jim

·
Registered
395 Posts
My employer, in defiance of the State Constitution and a recent State Supreme Court decision, bars firearms from their property. So, as a law-abiding citizen and employee, I carry concealed and don't tell them about it.
My employer, a large national medical lab, puts me and others in a similar position. Possessing a firearm on property is an automatic dismissal, no excuses, you're gone. It's especially true with those who are given a company car (considered company property) for travel. On the other hand, we're out in the field, often in dangerous areas, where at best LE is minutes away. I have found that there are a small number of employees that do carry, anyway, while out and about on company business. It's an assumed risk: either be injured/killed if caught without, or fired if caught with.

It's not just firearms, either, the driver rules include the carrying of -any- defensive weapon, even baseball bats and pepper spray. It's even been implied that any defense whatsoever might be considered the use of defensive weapons.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Jim
+1. Been doing it for over 5 years now. Concealed means concealed.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
I work at a family owned motorcycle and ATV dealer. We are closed on Mondays and set up a date for us to have a CCW instructor come in one Monday so we could all take the class at a group rate. Needless to say I carry at work with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I work in a small Transmission shop and my boss loves guns so all employees can carry if they want . I do most of the time but it's never far away in my tool box or locker. Sometimes when your laying in a floorboard or on a creeper the cell phone and gun come of ..

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My employer, a large national medical lab, puts me and others in a similar position. Possessing a firearm on property is an automatic dismissal, no excuses, you're gone. It's especially true with those who are given a company car (considered company property) for travel. On the other hand, we're out in the field, often in dangerous areas, where at best LE is minutes away. I have found that there are a small number of employees that do carry, anyway, while out and about on company business. It's an assumed risk: either be injured/killed if caught without, or fired if caught with.

It's not just firearms, either, the driver rules include the carrying of -any- defensive weapon, even baseball bats and pepper spray. It's even been implied that any defense whatsoever might be considered the use of defensive weapons.
I am retired now (2 years) but I worked for a large railroad as a communications technician and was subject to be called out at all hours of the night to some very remote and isolated places as well as some high crime areas.
The RR policy was the same regarding ANY sort of weapon on company property (even in your private vehicle on a company lot - automatic dismissal!! I had a company vehicle which I was allowed to keep at home and the vehicle was "company property" and the same rules applied.
I obeyed their rules.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work in an independent auto shop and my boss hates guns. When he found out that some guys were keeping them in their tool boxes, he banned all guns from the shop. Otherwise its a great place to work, but it still is frustrating.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I work in a state office building, so no CC at work for me. I do leave it secured in my vehicle since the parking lot is not posted. As far as I know that is OK.

Between work and having to go do stuff for my kids at school or during school activities it is really difficult for me to carry frequently. But I do keep one in my vehicle at all times, so I guess that's better than nothing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm a Credit Union exec in New Jersey, although I live in PA. If I carried a weapon on me I'm fairly certain my vehicle would be attacked by drones on Route 78 as I crossed the border into NJ.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I work in an independent auto shop and my boss hates guns. When he found out that some guys were keeping them in their tool boxes, he banned all guns from the shop. Otherwise its a great place to work, but it still is frustrating.
Bummer..... right after they opened the CCW in Missouri my boss wanted to get his so he got all the guys together (at that time there were 4 of us ) and he paid for our class. We had to supply our own guns and ammo (darn).
When someone gets a new gun we all go out after work and breaks it in right !! Great place to work ..

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Being a transit bus driver, and many customers being from the lower end of society, I imagine some have guns or knives. But, company policy is no weapons of any sort, even in your personal car at the bus garage. One boss should know better, as he is a retired LEO who enjoys shooting as a hobby. I suppose he can't buck the antiquated attitude of the higher ups.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Also a few things I've noticed living in Arizona. I do my banking at Desert Schools credit union(got screwed by B of A one too many times). I have never seen a no weapons sign at any of their branches. Every time I'm there, weather to withdraw or deposit, I feel good knowing I'm safe and that they follow state laws and allow me my freedoms. Also, I ride the bus to get around. I remember growing up, there were huge no weapons signs with pictures of guns and knives crossed out all over the bus. But since the new legislation that allows us Arizona residents to carry concealed weapons without a permit, I have not seen a single no weapons sign on any of the local city buses either. If a local business has no weapons sign I just pull the old "what sign?" routine. The only action they can take against you in this state to ask you kindly to leave. If you decide not to then they can charge you with trespassing. But they won't know I'm carrying unless something goes down and if that were to happen, well...

I live by the old adage it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I was born in Phoenix, Arizona and have lived here my whole life(25 years). I absolutely love my home state. Judging the way gun laws are in the rest of the country, despite the hot weather I don't see any reason to leave ever!

GOD BLESS ARIZONA!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had been carrying at work for over 5 years when my boss found out. He just had a blank stare and hasn't said anything since. Knowing him he probably forgot by now. He is a hunter, but loves to control people, so I'm a little surprised he didn't "make a rule" on the subject. Concealed means out of sight out of mind. I'll be retired before he brings it up again, I hope!

·
Super Moderator
21,481 Posts
I retired in 2003 and didn't typically carry to work as my job was in Mass and I lived in NH so not only was it against company policy but I wasn't legal in Mass.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I too work in healthcare and Im not allowed to ccw at work. I could keep it in the car but I just have a problem with leaving a handgun alone in the city. If I cannot carry it on my person then I just don't carry . :(

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I work at a small motorcycle shop and my boss is more than pleased I carry. I would say the majority of my customers carry also.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do inside sales for a valve manufacturer and my boss (who also happens to be my dad) let's us carry whenever we want. He even had one of the guys bring in his new Sig Sauer 716 so we could check it out. With only 4 employees currently, there is on average about 5-6 guns in the office at a time.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I work at a major aerostructures manufacturer and it is strictly forbidden to bring firearms onto the company property. I don't carry while at work but my truck does. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts