Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on the Hogue site I see some grips I really like for, say, an SP101 that I don't own.

But I wonder, does this shape of grip, in particular the bottom of it, does this cause some comfort issues for a CCW? Seems like although it's beautiful, those sharp edges might dig into a fat guy's side.

Whereas this might be less comfortable to shoot, but more comfortable to wear. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
What you have there in the top photo is a "square butt" configured grip, and on the bottom photo, a "round butt" grip. Some guns, such as most Smiths, are either square or round butted guns. The old Security Six guns were square butts, the Speed Six's were round butted. And yes, the round butt guns are better for concealed carry. The GPs and SP101 of course can be fitted with whatever you want, due to their not having a traditional grip frame, but a stud that can be fitted with whatever your little heart desires.

BTW, I much prefer uncheckered grips for CCW.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

BTW, I much prefer uncheckered grips for CCW.
Just a guess, but is this because clothing doesn't slip and move over checkering as well as it does over smooth wood? Or is there another reason?

I just chose the checkered examples for purely aesthetic reasons. I think these grips look awesome.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yes, part of the reason I don't like checkered grips is that they can hang on clothing, but the biggest reason for me is that they can abraid your hand. I agree, they look great though! Hogue makes some fine grips, and to my hand, are the most ergonomic grips on the market for double action guns.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Eddie, I haven't found the round butt stocks unpleasant to shoot till you approach the recoil of a .41 Mag. I have found the square butt stocks to imprint really obviously wearing a vest or light coat.As mentioned before checkering will also cause the stocks to grab clothing & possibly ride up exposing the gun. I have found rubber stocks to grab vests & coats when you bend over & cause them to ride up often imprinting or exposing the gun. An exposed gun with a ccw permit is a real no-no & can cause a lot of unwanted questions & embarassement. It is to be avoided at all costs as responding peace officers will out of self preservation possibly take the position of having an armed criminal in their presence. Don't want to scare anyone,but prevention is always better than cure. Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts