Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you out there have a Concealed Carry permit? Those of you that do, was the class difficult? When you had to shoot, what was the distance? How long could you take to qualify. I'm thinking about doing it, but the price is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many of you out there have a Concealed Carry permit? Those of you that do, was the class difficult? When you had to shoot, what was the distance? How long could you take to qualify. I'm thinking about doing it, but the price is a bit pricey.
In Pennsylvania it's called a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) and PA is a "Shall Issue" state. In other words they do a background check and if they find nothing wrong, no violent history, you're not drunkard, and haven't been convicted of a few specific things, you are issued your LTCF no problem, no training.

The sheriff of the county you live conducts the check (except Philadelphia which is taken care of by the police gun unit) and issues the LTCF, it varies from county to county but you can get it any where from on the spot up to 45 days.

PA is also an Open Carry state, you do not need a license to open carry except cities of the first class, Philadelphia is the only city that has that distinction. You can not open carry in a vehicle without a LTCF though.

Also in PA the LTCF is regulated by the state and no local government can over ride state laws, although Philadelphia likes to try.

Bill

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Different States have different rules. There are several from Kansas on this Board. Some of them will be along and fill you in on Kansas Regulations. Kansas hasn't been issuing permits long. Glad you are going to get one. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Glad to hear that you want to make a difference!!! The classes are easy...the money isn't really that much, and the potential for good is worth every penny of it....go for it!!!! Shooting test is close ranges...combat ranges...and easy to qualify....there just isn't a downside....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just got mine about a month ago. It cost $150 for the class, then another $115 for the fees for the state. For less than $250, it's well worth it. The class took 8 hours, and we each shot 100 rounds from various positions. The farthest we were from the target was 7 yards.

·
Registered
404 Posts
All the info you could want about concealed carry classes, permits, laws, issues, posted businesses, etc. in Kansas is available at http://www.ksccw.com. Nice group of people too!

I did my class with Bill Regina and he was an excellent instructor. Kansas is very specific about what must be covered in the class and much of the time is spent on the Kansas regulations. The shooting portion was pretty easy. From the time I submitted my paperwork to getting my permit was about six weeks.

For the shooting portion of the class you can use any handgun you want in any caliber. You do not have to use the gun you are going to carry. I used a .22 revolver. The shooting portion consists of:
*5 rounds one-handed at a distance of 3 yards,
*10 rounds free-style at a distance of 7 yards, and
*10 rounds free-style at a distance of 10 yards
18 of the 25 must hit the designated part of the target to qualify. This part can be retaken as many times as necessary to pass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine was $150 for the class, $45 for the permit. The class was 10 hours of classroom work and 2 hours of range time. We had to pass an examination at the end which was extremely easy to do if you paid any attention at all.

The scary part was when people brought handguns in for range time and had no idea what make or calibers they were carrying.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ours was $30 each for the class (private class for my wife, brother-in-law and myself). The electronic fingerprint was $37.50 each. The permit was $70.00 each. And the passport photo was about $15.00 each. Now, if the state of FL would just mail the permits to us.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
dirttrackdemon
Yep they don't want the poor uneduacated folk to be able to protect themselves! What ever you need to do to get the cash -do it! Its the best investment you'll make. Sell the kids video games if nessesary! :) To borrow the Libertrad line it's for the children!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have decided to do it. The classroom portion is set up for this Saturday. The shooting portion is Sunday. It's nice to know I could shoot my .22 and not my .357. But I think I will shoot my new gp100. Never shot it and I am anxious to try it out.

The cost of the classes is $110 and the state gets $110 and the sheriff gets $40. The license is renewable in four years at a cost of another $100. The only reason I am doing it is because we travel in an RV. Just piece of mind.

Regards to you all,

Bill

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have decided to do it. The classroom portion is set up for this Saturday. The shooting portion is Sunday. It's nice to know I could shoot my .22 and not my .357. But I think I will shoot my new gp100. Never shot it and I am anxious to try it out.

The cost of the classes is $110 and the state gets $110 and the sheriff gets $40. The license is renewable in four years at a cost of another $100. The only reason I am doing it is because we travel in an RV. Just piece of mind.

Regards to you all,

Bill
Good luck in the class. I wouldn't take a gun I hadn't fired to the shooting portion. I would just do it with the .22 and then go shoot the .357 later. Depending on where the shooting portion is located they might have another range you can go shoot on while you wait for the others to finish their shooting test.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Glad to hear that you want to make a difference!!! The classes are easy...the money isn't really that much, and the potential for good is worth every penny of it....go for it!!!! Shooting test is close ranges...combat ranges...and easy to qualify....there just isn't a downside....
x2 for Texas. Super easy class and well worth it. Cost for me for license and class came to $170 total.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Class about 4hrs. Shoot one cartridge with head man. $55.00
Send all your info to state and $117.00. With in 3 months you get your CWP. Good for 5 years.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
What'd you say, Baldy???? Shoot one shot????? Must be shoot only one caliber.....y'all can't be that easy.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went through the class day before yesterday. 6 hours of class room, covering KS laws, how to hold weapon, sight pattern, ammunition, guns in general, and when it is legal to shoot and when it's not. A lot of common sense.
I get to fire on a range when the snow stops, hopefully this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally stopped put'n it off and took the class here in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago. Took the class and then quailfied at the range.The class was $100, then $144.25 was sent in with the permit application, they said it would take at least 90+ days to get the permit. The permit is for 5 years, renewal of a permit is $60. One thing I thought was kind a of no brainier, if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver, if you qualify with a semi-auto pistol you can carry either.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts