Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good field holster for my 357 NM Blackhawk but it rides a bit low for concealed carry. I want to be able to carry it concealed as well. I imagine most will not carry a single action concealed but if anyone else does I could use a suggestion for a decent holster.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Tennessee allows open carry, but I have found it more prudent to to at least hide my gun, though the tip of the holster may show. I carry my Blackhawk in this holster from Doc Barranti, its his No. 1 Shuck. I cover it in the summer with a western style vest, and in cooler weather with either a sport coat, suit coat, or jacket.

The secret of concealing your gun is to conceal it from others, not from yourself. I strongly advise that you not cover the gun with any shirt or undershirt that requires you to lift it with your off hand.

This is a modified Tom Threepersons holster from Graveyard Jack Gun Leather:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have carried my 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 357 mag concealed before, albeit not something I do on a regular basis. I used an El Paso Saddlery Tanker shoulder holster under a Carhartt vest. It concealed great and the fiance said she couldn't even tell it was there. Not the most conventional route, but great for hiking and a trip into town. 1942 “Tanker” Holster – 3″ to 5″ Barrels – El Paso Saddlery

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Tennessee allows open carry, but I have found it more prudent to to at least hide my gun, though the tip of the holster may show. I carry my Blackhawk in this holster from Doc Barranti, its his No. 1 Shuck. I cover it in the summer with a western style vest, and in cooler weather with either a sport coat, suit coat, or jacket.

The secret of concealing your gun is to conceal it from others, not from yourself. I strongly advise that you not cover the gun with any shirt or undershirt that requires you to lift it with your off hand.

This is a modified Tom Threepersons holster from Graveyard Jack Gun Leather:

Bob Wright
+1 on this. I've tried to carry my Blackhawk before and bought a nice holster (can't remember what brand) that "rode high" to help conceal it. It did exactly what it was designed to do, but rode so high I couldn't contort my shooting arm and hand to even get it out of the holster! It hid well, but was completely useless as a conceal carry rig. I sold it. The holsters shown here are nice and functional. Yes, one needs to wear a longer shirt, jacket, or vest to conceal, bit at least you can get the gun out of the holster fairly quickly. Nice rigs!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Managed to get some pics with my Tanker holster here they are. The holster also also works with my 45 LC NM Balckhawk and even my 327 Mag. Single Six. It is a well made quality item like anything from El Paso Saddlery. I'll admit my Ruger LCR conceals much easier.
Wood Eyewear Font Fashion accessory Metal

Outerwear Shoulder Dress shirt Sleeve Waist

Outerwear Sleeve Grey Collar Street fashion

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wear mine in an OWB holster, my version of the tried and true Tom Threepersons design from the '20's. I fit them fairly tight, needing no thong nor keeper strap, for good retention, and similarly, the belt loop is abeam the rear of the cylinder, minimizing the amt. of leather exposed...this belt loop location is about as high as I can manage and still make a good draw movement. Using this method, I can hide a SA with a bbl. length of 4-5/8" with no trouble. Those that sport a 5-1/2" or longer tube are a bit of a problem however....as I use these longer bbl's for hunting or range use almost exclusively, a "Tanker" or cross chest rig works better.

Like Bob, when wearing an OWB, the tip of the holster may stick out a bit...no more than an inch generally, depending on the length of my shirt tail or jacket.

Part of the secret to carrying a single action concealed is a GOOD gun belt...a fairly heavy one that will not deform nor sag....they're not cheap to make nor buy. Those that I make for friends & family are cut from 10-12 oz. bull hide, (3/16+" thick), that does the job well, but still allows a belt width of 1-1/2" that'll work through jeans' belt loops. The pic below demonstrates the high belt loop position with a Single Six and a 3-Screw BH holstered.

HTH's Rod

Reactions: HairyBee
1 - 12 of 12 Posts