Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wright initially tried to grab the gun from the man’s waistband, but was unsuccessful in his attempt. However, Wright then just simply punched the man in the face, knocked him to the ground and snatched the gun from him, before pointing it at the CWP holder and ordering him to leave.

This could be our 2015 Darwin Award winner. If that guy followed me into the bathroom I would not have let him get close to me.

Gun stolen from CWP holder during Walmart bathroom assault

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Sounds like a real loser.....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Like many of you I learned long ago not to allow anyone near my strong side when I am carrying.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I know this is suppose to be CC, but hopefully the OC crowd will realize now how easy it is for someone to snatch their gun.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,548 Posts
Last week's episode of GunTalk included a segment on a similar situation, deciding when a potential BG is too close for comfort.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
This story has everything: a drug addict criminal with neck tattoos (nothing says "classy" like neck tattoos), a Walmart men's' room, and Medford, OR. And don't forget a CCW holder who doesn't understand how exposed a small-of-the-back holster can be.

I have to agree with "Maser" that this story highlights one of the drawbacks of open-carry: the bad guys know where your gun is and can relieve you of it. It also highlights something I've learned about keeping positive control of you firearm when carrying. I only carry in positions where I can see - at least in peripheral vision - someone making a grab for my gun. You can't rely 100% on concealment to protect your gun; movement, "printing" and even stray gusts of wind can cause your gun to "break cover" long enough for a bad guy (or a panicky citizen) to see it.

Jim

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
It sounds like there was some stupid event by the other guy that started it. I don't think everything was told.
Hard to know. It could simply have been that the bad guy caught a glimpse of the pistol and decided to grab it. It sounds like he traded the gun for some drugs, since it wasn't found on him when he was arrested. And I doubt he got a background check on the person he traded the gun to.

Jim

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hard to know. It could simply have been that the bad guy caught a glimpse of the pistol and decided to grab it. It sounds like he traded the gun for some drugs, since it wasn't found on him when he was arrested. And I doubt he got a background check on the person he traded the gun to. Jim
But, but, but, it's against the law to sell a gun without a BGC in Oregon. You can bet that the Bloomberg backed mothers against, whatever the he** they're pizzed off about today, will be pushing for a new useless law!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
But, but, but, it's against the law to sell a gun without a BGC in Oregon. You can bet that the Bloomberg backed mothers against, whatever the he** they're pizzed off about today, will be pushing for a new useless law!
Yeah, I've noticed how the new background check law has decreased gang-related shootings in Portland (for those not living in the area, gang shootings in Portland are already higher than last year's total).

I have to wonder about the cognitive functioning of someone who thinks that passing a new law will change the behavior of criminals, since criminals - by definition - don't obey laws. One definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting different results.

Jim

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed how the new background check law has decreased gang-related shootings in Portland (for those not living in the area, gang shootings in Portland are already higher than last year's total).

I have to wonder about the cognitive functioning of someone who thinks that passing a new law will change the behavior of criminals, since criminals - by definition - don't obey laws. One definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting different results.

Jim
We are talking about the anti-gunners so isn't your statement redundant? :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a friend who is against ccw and last year thought he would prove a point with me and made a big mistake! He walked up behind me and tried to disarm me. He received 2 broken fingers and was at gunpoint before he knew what was happening. Still not sure he understands just how stupid he was and how close he came to being shot! I am always aware of my surroundings bet even more so when carrying. I knew something was wrong as soon as he grabbed my shirt. If you feel compelled to carry then you had better be responsible enough to do so!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Last week's episode of GunTalk included a segment on a similar situation, deciding when a potential BG is too close for comfort.
For God's sake, it's a public bathroom! Being within arm's reach is certainly too close for my liking! :eek:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
For God's sake, it's a public bathroom! Being within arm's reach is certainly too close for my liking! :eek:
My sense of "personal space" is heightened whenever I'm in a public restroom; if someone is following too close, I step aside and let them go first. It could just be that their "mission" is urgent or they could be planning a strong-arm robbery (public restrooms are popular for robberies, because people are usually preoccupied).

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am a CCW holder, and I carry all day everyday at home and at work. My boss knows and encouraged me to carry when I was hired in. I wear my work shirt outside my pants and carry in a IWB holster, strong side. Never been busted yet.
Since we deal with sometimes large sums of cash, and the lower end of the financial world, my spidey senses get a little tingly at times, but so far so good. Some of our customers are tatt'd up a lot worse than the character in the news story and you can usually pick out the druggies pretty quickly. At least I can. One of my first ever jobs was as a bartender in a veterans club, plus I have been dealing with the public my entire adult life, so it almost comes as second nature.

Never second guess your first impression. Never doubt your dog. If he doesn't like someone, there is usually a very good reason.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Situational Awareness!

+1. The hair on the back of your neck or your dogs stands up for a reason..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts