Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an inexpensive Stoeger O/U from Bass Pro last night. I have shot several previous models in 12 and 20 gauge belonging to friends that shot well for me. I decided that for $399.00 I would give it a try. It has walnut furniture, interchangeable chokes, vent rib, single trigger, and extractors. I will try to test fire it this morning. It will just be for occasional recreational clay shooting and maybe some quail hunting. It will see a few hundred rounds per year max. It looks really nice for the price. It is made in Brazil.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks nice and getting walnut today for that price is a plus. Read a couple reviews of Stoeger but not sure the model. Nice having some figure in the stock also. It should last you for quite a while. Good shooting!
There are a lot of old reviews online. The guns have been upgraded since then. I think those older reviews are on Turkish made guns. I don't like the squared off forend as much as the old rounded style, but the wood is nice. I shot it this morning and it worked great. No problems at all.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, nga! Looks real nice.
Thanks! It shoots as good as it looks. I can't wait to break some clays with it. I shot 20 rounds this morning to function test the gun. It worked fine with three different loads. The cushy recoil pad was appreciated with high brass Express #6 ammo. The low brass game and target loads were soft shooting.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I picked up the Stoeger Uplander SxS a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. No issues at all. They get trashed in a lot of forums, but I don't think many of those posters have actually owned or shot one.

My cousin won the coach gun version on an opening weekend raffle at the local bar. Everyone shot it that weekend and went through at least a case of clays. When I got home I bought my own.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good to hear. Looks like a nice gloss bluing too from here. Features like walnut and deep bluing I took for granted back in the 60s and 70s for a good price. Many of our older models look almost custom today with those features. I paid $300 for my Remington TB trap gun back in 1980 new. Glad I held onto that one. LOL

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up the Stoeger Uplander SxS a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. No issues at all. They get trashed in a lot of forums, but I don't think many of those posters have actually owned or shot one.

My cousin won the coach gun version on an opening weekend raffle at the local bar. Everyone shot it that weekend and went through at least a case of clays. When I got home I bought my own.
I forgot about firing a 20ga Stoeger Coach Gun. That was a fun gun. I'd like to try an Uplander. I saw a lot of people bashing the guns on other forums too. Most of the posts were between 2005 and 2015. I have shot several and was impressed. I decided to follow my own experience and I am very happy I did.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats ngashooter. A few years ago while at my Deer hunting club. (we can only shoot shotgun and part of our Heritage) were switching over from some nice shotguns to the Stoeger Condor OV. We have a lot of swamps and thick terrain. I later shot one and was sold on it. The short 20" barrel makes it Ideal for this. And any other hunting I do where I have to travel long distances in the harsh terrain. Mine is 12ga. The gun is what I would say is a "Utilitarian shotgun". And that is good. I use to carry very expensive shotguns into this mess and that would take a beating. For the Price of The Condor you are getting ONE HECK gun for the money. I did polish up some of the points on the gun. For example, it was hard for the barrels to drop when I released it. That was just a matter of polishing.Beautiful wood on this gun.
I have shot quite a bit of ammo through this gun for the past few years. I love pattering buckshot with different Loads and different shot. So a lot of Buckshot has gone through this gun.MY Gosh a OV with a 20" barrel and drilled for Chokes! And this gun shoot very well. Patterns very tight groups with a lot of loads. It is a tough, shotgun. It is a inertia system so recoil is a little stout but easy to clean. One thing for sure the gun is totally reliable. Just keep the triggers clean and this gun will run like a top. I use to carry a Bellini Ultra light, but passed that on down to my son. This gun is made for the task of hunting and it does it well. And fun to shoot. Thankfully I have been stocking up for years with Buckshot and it has been a gun that has kept me at he range during the shortage.
By the way, I have used the Shortane 20 ga adapters in both barrels and those that say a inertia will not shoot light loads are wrong. They shot very well.

Typical orders from Target sports. A lot of different shipments all 12 ga buckshot in different loads were coming in.for the past two years before the shortage. This is just on order.

Reactions: ngashooter

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats ngashooter. A few years ago while at my Deer hunting club. (we can only shoot shotgun and part of our Heritage) were switching over from some nice shotguns to the Stoeger Condor OV. We have a lot of swamps and thick terrain. I later shot one and was sold on it. The short 20" barrel makes it Ideal for this. And any other hunting I do where I have to travel long distances in the harsh terrain. Mine is 12ga. The gun is what I would say is a "Utilitarian shotgun". And that is good. I use to carry very expensive shotguns into this mess and that would take a beating. For the Price of The Condor you are getting ONE HECK gun for the money. I did polish up some of the points on the gun. For example, it was hard for the barrels to drop when I released it. That was just a matter of polishing.Beautiful wood on this gun.
I have shot quite a bit of ammo through this gun for the past few years. I love pattering buckshot with different Loads and different shot. So a lot of Buckshot has gone through this gun.MY Gosh a OV with a 20" barrel and drilled for Chokes! And this gun shoot very well. Patterns very tight groups with a lot of loads. It is a tough, shotgun. It is a inertia system so recoil is a little stout but easy to clean. One thing for sure the gun is totally reliable. Just keep the triggers clean and this gun will run like a top. I use to carry a Bellini Ultra light, but passed that on down to my son. This gun is made for the task of hunting and it does it well. And fun to shoot. Thankfully I have been stocking up for years with Buckshot and it has been a gun that has kept me at he range during the shortage.
By the way, I have used the Shortane 20 ga adapters in both barrels and those that say a inertia will not shoot light loads are wrong. They shot very well.

Typical orders from Target sports. A lot of different shipments all 12 ga buckshot in different loads were coming in.for the past two years before the shortage. This is just on order.

Cool Shotgun! Having the short barrels and interchangeable chokes is very practical. My short barreled 12ga double is a Stevens 511 (18 1/4" and cylinder bore). I have a short, light open choked Spanish 20ga sxs too. my favorite buckshot launcher is my 870 pump though. My most versatile scattergun is a Benelli Montfeltro.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,693 Posts
I picked up an inexpensive Stoeger O/U from Bass Pro last night. I have shot several previous models in 12 and 20 gauge belonging to friends that shot well for me. I decided that for $399.00 I would give it a try. It has walnut furniture, interchangeable chokes, vent rib, single trigger, and extractors. I will try to test fire it this morning. It will just be for occasional recreational clay shooting and maybe some quail hunting. It will see a few hundred rounds per year max. It looks really nice for the price. It is made in Brazil. View attachment 156995 View attachment 156996 View attachment 156997 View attachment 156998

Very nice, I like the blued rx + barrels more than the so-called weatherized version on my Hatfield for the same price. Also like that choke tube wrench. Mine came with 5 tubes, I bought an extra full turkey tube to go with them. Is that a plastic case also? Congrats, enjoy!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I took my old Beretta 1200f which is a ultra reliable semi, "the FP model basically the same gun used by military and Police)with the 28" barrel and had the Gun Smith cut it down to 20".

Shoots very nice groups up to 15 yds.

Reactions: ngashooter

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice, I like the blued rx + barrels more than the so-called weatherized version on my Hatfield for the same price. Also like that choke tube wrench. Mine came with 5 tubes, I bought an extra full turkey tube to go with them. Is that a plastic case also? Congrats, enjoy!

View attachment 157018
That Hatfield looks nice! The Stoeger just came with IC and Modified. That will work for what I want it for. I have four chokes for the 28" VR barrel for the 870 (IC, M, F, and Turkey), and five for the 26" Montfeltro (IC, M, IM, F, Turkey). The plastic case is flimsy. I have considered lining it with Hunter Green fabric and covering the outside with leather. It's a possible future project.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took my old Beretta 1200f which is a ultra reliable semi, "the FP model basically the same gun used by military and Police)with the 28" barrel and had the Gun Smith cut it down to 20".

Shoots very nice groups up to 15 yds.
I love it. That is a sweet home defense shotgun. Now I want a short barreled semi auto 12ga...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts