Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LEE mold (44 Ruger Old Army 456-220-1R) that came with my used ROA but haven’t yet used it.

Is the ROA supposed to be more accurate with conicals? I seem to remember reading that it is more accurate with heavier loads using a conical and more accurate with light loads using balls.

I’ve only used balls with it and though it was time to start experimenting with conicals.:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gunman - How many grains of powder did you use for those targets. I too, can get very small patterns with 25 to 30 grains. When I load up to 45 and higher the patterns really open up.

That is why I wonder if the conicals, being heavier in weight, would be accurate with heavier loads.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
30 grains of powder with wonder wad between ball and powder. There is only one way to see if conicals would be accurate in your gun, and that is to give em a try. I honestly have not ever heard of anyone having better luck, accuracy wise, with conicals in a ROA, but you never know. Some guns just like some bullets better than others. Why, if you don't mind me asking, do you want to load it up so hot for anyway? 45 grains of powder is quite a load!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts