Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S&W .38 model 36, nickel plated, very classy and shiny. It is planned to be a CC gun if I ever get used to the trigger pull, I think it is around 14#. It's heavy for safety reasons is what I have read/heard but I am thinking of reducing trigger pull so that it is similar to my Ruger Single Six .22. My plan is that when I bought the Ruger earlier this year I would use it as a training gun that I could put a lot of rounds thru to develop technique/hand eye coordination for the .38 and not spend a small fortune in ammo learning the .38, sights are similar, grip is meh, close enough. But the trigger pull between the 2 is night and day. Good idea or bad and why to have the trigger pull reduced?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
If I understood this correctly, you are using a single action 22 (Single Six) for practicing to use and carry a single/double action S&W snub nose 38.

I have a Ruger Single Ten and a S&W 442 snub nose 38.

Your two guns are quite different. The single action trigger on the Ruger breaks clean and easy while the S&W (when fired double action as is advisable in self defense situations for legal reasons) does have a very heavy trigger and is not an easy gun to aim and fire accurately.

A trigger job on the S&W will give you a lighter trigger pull, but you want to be careful that the gunsmith doesn't create a light trigger. The last thing you want is to use it for self defense and then have a DA in court characterize your gun as having a "hair trigger".

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly

They are different guns but mainly the sight picture (my Ruger is an older NIB 50 year anniversary model, non adjustable sight) so there in is the similarity. I suppose if i wanted to get a much closer match as a training gun for the .38 I could go find a snub nose .22 of some sort of make to practice with. However, I have what I have. Was thinking about getting the trigger pull reduced to say 8 lb. Any idea what the pull is on the SS?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
They are different guns but mainly the sight picture (my Ruger is an older NIB 50 year anniversary model, non adjustable sight) so there in is the similarity. I suppose if i wanted to get a much closer match as a training gun for the .38 I could go find a snub nose .22 of some sort of make to practice with. However, I have what I have. Was thinking about getting the trigger pull reduced to say 8 lb. Any idea what the pull is on the SS?
I don't know about the Single Six, but I read somewhere that the trigger pull on my Single Ten is around 4 lbs. Of course all it is doing is releasing the hammer.

An 8 lb. double action trigger pull on the 38 would be helpful for accuracy. Main thing is you need to practice with the 38 and the ammo you intend to carry.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with jaxrider14. If you ever really need to use this defensively, don't screw with the factory trigger pull. Also don't ever use re-loads. Anything other than over-the-counter ammo, and guns are the trip & fall lawyer's red meat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts