Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been wanting a soft-shooting 40S&W for a while now. Shot an M&P40 along with the M&P9 for comparison in felt recoil. That M&P40 felt very close to the 9. Haven't shot the SR40 yet, but from what I've been hearing, it does a great job taming the .40$&W round. Is this true and do you think it does a better job than the M&P40? About the same? Do you think the SR40 is better or on par with the M&P40? How has the reliability been? Would you recommend this over the 9mm? If so, why? If not, why?

I'd also like to know if there are better sights that can be used on the SR pistols? I don't mind the stock sights, but would prefer something a bit more visible and easier to pick up than the tiny does on the stock sights. Are there any fiber optic or white big-dot sights for it? Not interested in night sights.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
own both. the recoil is pretty close between them, both very good pistols. the SR40 has a slightly heavier trigger. I prefer the SR series for carry. I really don't take the MP out of the safe very often. just my personal feeling.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Had an M&P 40 for a while. I liked everything about it except the trigger and the size/location/operation of the manual safety. I've got an SR40 but tend to prefer 9mm or 45 anymore. As for other sights, check the Ruger site or Trijicon; may be others also.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have both the SR9c and the SR40c and I feel hardly any difference between two when firing. So the SR40 should be just as good if not better.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
own both. the recoil is pretty close between them, both very good pistols. the SR40 has a slightly heavier trigger. I prefer the SR series for carry. I really don't take the MP out of the safe very often. just my personal feeling.
Why do you prefer the SR series for carry over the M&P? Glad to hear that the recoil is pretty similar with these two. I'm going to see if I can rent an SR40 this week sometime.

Had an M&P 40 for a while. I liked everything about it except the trigger and the size/location/operation of the manual safety. I've got an SR40 but tend to prefer 9mm or 45 anymore. As for other sights, check the Ruger site or Trijicon; may be others also.
The trigger grit doesn't bother me all that much. I know its there but it just doesn't annoy me at all. Over time, it smoothe's out and there's always the APEX trigger kit if necessary. I don't much care for the safety levers on the M&P either. Would prefer the M&P without them which is the more common version anyway for it. And while I also like the 9mm and the .45, I was thinking that maybe a .40 would be a nice "middle ground" where I would have nearly the power of a .45 but with capacity closer to that of a 9mm. I'm not going to start a caliber war, not my intent. Just trying to describe my train of thought on this since I was originally planning to get a full-size SR9 until just recently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2 cents...
When I was looking for a pistol, I thought I wanted a 45 cal M&P or an FN. Then one day I picked up an SR9c at my local gun shop. It fit my hand and the stock trigger is perfect! You're on the right track by renting - or if you find someone at the range who lets you fire off a mag... FWIW I thought about why I like the 9mm. I'm a cheapskate so the price of 9mm is better. (If I'm in a trigger-happy mood, I can send 500 rnds down range in a couple hours!) You can get a wide variety of grain, velocity, and stopping power. 9 mil pistols tend to be lighter and narrower for carry. Try an SR9c on for size.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2 cents...
When I was looking for a pistol, I thought I wanted a 45 cal M&P or an FN. Then one day I picked up an SR9c at my local gun shop. It fit my hand and the stock trigger is perfect! You're on the right track by renting - or if you find someone at the range who lets you fire off a mag... FWIW I thought about why I like the 9mm. I'm a cheapskate so the price of 9mm is better. (If I'm in a trigger-happy mood, I can send 500 rnds down range in a couple hours!) You can get a wide variety of grain, velocity, and stopping power. 9 mil pistols tend to be lighter and narrower for carry. Try an SR9c on for size.
I already have an SR9c. Love it. :cool:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may wish to consider THIS INFORMATION in making your final decision.
A lot of this makes sense, particularly the wear and tear of a firearm when it comes to the higher-pressure 40$&W round, But Id o find kind of conflicting findings as far as effectiveness:

What Round is More Effective, 9, 45 or 40?

For example.

Neither links to the articles take into accound on things like 4-legged critters and malicious 2-legged humans wearing thick clothes or some sort of body pretection. And having 17 rounds in a mag versus 15 isn't that much of a scrifice with comparing SR9 to SR40. And there isn't any sacrifice in round count when compared to 9mm options like the HK VP9, Walther PPQ, and Sig P320 compact that hold 15 rounds in 9mm.

I'm not arguning, just wighing the facts and factors. Is there really a significant amount of difference of wear and tear of an SR40 compared to an SR9?

·
Registered
332 Posts
It appears you didn't read the information presented.

For example:
Conclusion

While some law enforcement agencies have transitioned to larger calibers from the 9mm Luger in recent years, they do so at the expense of reduced magazine capacity, more felt recoil, and given adequate projectile selection, no discernible increase in terminal performance.

Other law enforcement organizations seem to be making the move back to 9mm Luger taking advantage of the new technologies which are being applied to 9mm Luger projectiles. These organizations are providing their armed personnel the best chance of surviving a deadly force encounter since they can expect faster and more accurate shot strings, higher magazine capacities (similar sized weapons) and all of the terminal performance which can be expected from any law enforcement caliber projectile.

Given the above realities and the fact that numerous ammunition manufacturers now make 9mm Luger service ammunition with outstanding premium line law enforcement projectiles, the move to 9mm Luger can now be viewed as a decided advantage for our armed law enforcement personnel.
The above quote was from one of the linked articles.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am a fan of the 40 S&W. I have the SR40 and have had no malfunctions firing mostly reloaded ammo. As far as the trigger goes, the SR40 trigger is lighter and shorter than the trigger on my Glock 19. The SR40 is a larger gun and compares to the Glock 17. I was shooting with a LEO who carries a G17 and did carry a G22. He had never fired a SR40. When I commented about the trigger being better on the Ruger, he admitted that when he fired the first shot he was not really ready when it fired because the trigger was lighter than he was expecting.
As to the sights. I must agree. For a range gun it could have better sights; maybe bigger white dots like a Sig 2022.
As to effectiveness of the 40 cal round, it is handicapped because there is not spec for +P ammo. I believe only 9 mm +P ammo compares effectively with it. However, Cor-bon does load +P in the 40 S&W which puts it close to the 10 mm in performance.
You nor I would probably never fire at a vehicle, moving or stationary. Many departments have regulations which prohibit firing into a moving vehicle. All that said, 40 S&W with the 165 grain projectile has a distinct advantage in that situation.
The biggest difference in firing the 9 and 40 is the cost of ammo. And that difference is big in some locations. Where I live, a 100 round box of quality 9mm practice ammo goes for about $26. A 100 round box of 40 S&W practice ammo is about $36. Federal aluminum cased 9mm is only $10, and the Rugers are OK'd for aluminum or steel cased ammo. A person who does not reload can certainly get more bangs-for-the-buck with 9 mm. I reload both and probably still shoot more 9 mm because I have more handguns for that caliber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts