Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back I wrote that I thought I'd screwed up when mounting a scope on a new 10-22-22. Turns out this one is very susceptible to shooting vibration/shock and works itself loose very fast. I mean everything. Stock screw Ruger base rail and Simmons rings.

I thought I'd go high tech on it today and swap the Simmons rings for Leupold's I had on hand and locktite the Ruger base screws. I think it would have worked if I hadn't stripped the hole for the last screw.

Now I have to figure out whether to just leave it with the one stripped screw hole or figure out a way to fix that. Tricky business trying to tighten steel screws into aluminum especially with the locktite lubing the threads.

I did find out the factory sights are set pretty well for 25 yards.

Anybody else ever run into this?

·
Banned
700 Posts
dogs, Back before I became "enlighjtened" I had a stock Ruger rail go jagged all the way down and threw the scope at me. Ever since I only use Weaver style rings and mounts.I like the Power Custom rail and Burris Sig "Z" rings. The Weaver has a cross slot for the ring screw preventing the slipage. Never had another problem. BTW, I have at least one shooting bud who has a receiver with at least one hole stripped....if ya know what I mean;). The Weaver rail mounted with only 3 holes has never been a problem.
If you fix it, JJ's suggestion is a good one.

SD

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Guys,
I think I can buy those tools and screws for about $10.00. I'm working on a Midway order as I type this. I should have paid Visa off for my my last order by now so it's a whole new game.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've got the Midway order just about ready to call in and I've ordered the 8-40 screws, 3/16" length based on some older ones I have with the old style base. Best guess is they'd be the same for the new one. A bit more checking and I'll be on the way to a repair.

I hope.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rest of the story:

After ordering the wrong drill and tap and then returning the wrong drill and tap and getting credit for it instead of a replacement with the right drill and tap and then re-reordering the right drill and tap the 10-22-22 is now back up and running with screws in all its holes.

Beginning to end it took two months and three days, mostly spent waiting for the mailman.

And here I thought real gunsmiths were slow!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts