Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Gunsite Scout for awhile and very happy with it. I managed to find a NOS Leupold FXII 2.75x scout scope and it’s been on several hunting trips. While I like the FOV benefit of a scout scope, I’ve come to realize my aging eyes don’t do well in lower light conditions specially beyond 50yds. So I’m converting to a conventional scope and looking at the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 for hunting mostly inside 200 yds. I’ve considered 40mm scopes but my measurements say they will hit the rail which I planned to leave in tact.

Thoughts or experience on this size scope for my intended use?

·
Registered
417 Posts
was going to suggest the Leupold VXR 1.5-5x scout scope but just saw they are out of production. Bummer because always felt that was a perfect match for the GSR. as for a traditional scope, try a 40 and if there's clearance issues with the bell you could always get higher rings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I found a scout scope to have a narrow field of view. So since Ruger gave me the ring's I have a 3-9x40 VX3 without a rail.
Didn't see the sense having to raise the scope and add a cheek pad just so I can look at the rail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts