Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have purchased two single six revolvers one came with a .22 mag cylinder only i think it is a .22 mag only. i got a .2 LR cylinder and fitted it to revolver and it works perfect. i got another from another shop it came with only LR cylinder. how do i know if it was a convertible from the factory? this may be common knowledge but i just don't know. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Single caliber specimens had a star roll marked on them somewhere on the grip frame, I think.
Or, call Ruger with the serial number and ask them.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If new models: Straightwall is correct (with a few exceptions) about the gun with .22 LR cyl, but the star would be on the bottom of the front tip of the cyl frame in front of the trigger guard.

1. One exception: The .22 Single Six Fixed Sight all steel model with case hardened frame were .22 LR only, but no star.

2. About the other one, there are no '.22 Mag only' new models.

3. If an old model (3 screws). We can only determine with the serial number and model name (not stamped on the gun):

Super Single Six with adjustable sights, or
Single Six with dovetail drift adjustable rear sight, for windage only.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,058 Posts
Hondo44, My Bisley Single-Six is a 22 LR only (no mag cylinder) and it doesn't have a star????

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Bisleys are another of "the few exceptions" I referenced. And another, the Super Single Six .22 LR-only SSR, actually has an arrow stamp that looks like a little house, instead of the star.

The logic for use of the special stampings (star or arrow) on single cyl guns (22 LR -only) was only for when the regular production version of any give model was normally supplied as a convertible with 2 cyls. If the a model was always supplied only with a 22 LR cyl, it would not have a special stamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts